cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 14

Please read this before posting?

First of all we need your stats so we can determine if or not their is an issue: 

Please use this link http://192.168.1.254 to go to your hubs homepage:

(Heres the direct link! http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9116

Then click on Settings:

Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 19.33.59.png

Then go to Advanced Settings:

Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 19.34.17.png

then go to Broadband:

Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 19.34.29.png

then go to Connection

Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 19.35.12.png

and then please copy and paste your adsl stats making sure you expand to show all details:

BT Broadband.png

We need to determine whether you have a throughput or speed or IP profile issue, there is only one official speed tester that BT will accept for speed test and you need to go to http://www.speedtester.bt.com and then type click on the ADSL/FTTC option:

Speedtester1.png

and then type in your phone number, wait for the results to be displayed:

Speedtester2.png

and once the results have been displayed with your IP Profile please copy and paste the results to your post.

Also searching your exchange on http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search , this is not neccessary but can sometimes help.

Always make sure you try changing the filters this can be a common problem.  If you have a mastersocket with a split front then unscrew the bottom bit and behind there should be a hidden test socket, you usually should try to test your broadband in there to make sure your internal wiring ins't causing interference this can be one of the highest common factors of slow broadband.  Usually your broadband will be dependant on your line length from the exchange which will be based on your attenuation, so if your far from the exchange your not likely to get a great speed on ADSL.

Also dialling 17070 and pressing Option 2 to do a quiet line test will show if you have any noise on your line.  If there's any noise on your line, try changing your filter's first and then call (0800 800) 151 and report a line fault don't mention broadband and go from there.

Happy posting!

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: Please read this before posting?

Needs something like this as a Sticky.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Hi Edd

like the idea which I suggested ages ago but you can't get people to read it before they post on the forum - so defeats the purpose - as I said idea good though

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

You could always use it as copy and paste to very basic users who don't know what to do, give em an idea with the piccys and stuff?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Smiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

Just done the updates now IJ. 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

Although I appreciate the sentiments and would speed the initial diagnosis. I do feel it would put some members off, in particular ones who have had a issue for some time and more so customers who have had the "helpline" experience and have been passed pillar to post.  Being directed to another link comes across for me, as a bit "helpline".  I feel at this point, many would want some 1 to 1  (therapy) and they are being listened too with regards to there broadband issue. 

I've seen users irate very recently, just by a simple request of hub stats posted by copy & paste.  We all do it, however it can come across, corporate avoidance (helpline).  At times I have PM,  something similar with regards to our end responsibilities, depending how I believe, they are presenting themselves on the forum

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

I can understand your comments but we are unable to provide any assistance/help without the information apart from the cop out of contact the mods.  as far as 1 to 1 is concerned that is fine but as you can see from my normal first reply which I have typed so often it is now on a macro then edited to suit.

I would still like something incorporated into the starting of a subject that router stats and btspeedtester results are required as part of the post - very much like gouledw post.

in fact I would go further and get the search used more as most of the answers to the vast majority of the problems are already on the forum if people did a search first

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 14

If this was the first point of contact I would agree entirely, however, post after post comes with tales woe from the "helpline", to bat a frustrated unhappy customer (us) off which in essence is script surely can only help one side of a post. For me there is a danger of it coming across as disassociation and separatist etc... 

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings