cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ean25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Please reset DLM following recent phone line repair

I've had a BT Infinity connection since 2014 which has consistently delivered over 70Mbps downstream with no issues.  A few months ago I experienced a problem with my phone not ringing with incoming calls which required an engineer visit. This turned out to be an earth short at the cabinet and didn't affect my broadband signal.  After the engineer fixed the phone line problem, my Infinity speed dropped to 50Mbps.  I was assured this was temporary and would ramp back up after two weeks.

However, it's now four months since the engineer visit and my speed is stuck at 51Mbps.  This is slower than the "guaranteed minimum" of 54Mbps I was promised when I took out the contract.  I've phoned BT customer support several times who claim there's no problem and this is normal.  Reading around these forums, this appears to be a fairly common problem following line repairs and is due to the DLM downgrading the connection speed.

My BT Infinity contract is expiring in the next couple of months.  I'm minded to downgrade from the 76Mpbs to the 52Mbps Infinity package or possibly switch to Virgin Media (as I live in a cabled area) if the speed can't be put back to how is used to be.  Before making the jump, I was hoping for some help from a moderator here - specifically whether my DLM can be reset.

My line stats are as follows:

UpstreamDownstream
Current Rate(kbps)            17124 51620
Max Rate(kbps)            17125 51708
SNR Margin(dB)             5.9 9.1
Line Attenuation(dB)    19.2 15.1
Errors(pkts)             0           6

BT's broadband availability checker reports the following for my line:

DSL.PNG
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Please reset DLM following recent phone line repair

BT cannot reset the DLM on fibre services this applies to all providers it can only be reset by Openreach if a line fault is found and a fault fixed
0 Ratings
ean25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Thanks John.  So, given that BT did find a fault with my line and did fix it - albeit now four months ago - how do I get the DLM reset?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

BT did not fix the line fault it was Openreach who do the work it should have been reset then unless you still have a line fault there is nothing you can do
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

DLM reset won't help.

You're connecting near enough the max attainavle rate.

You need a broadband engineer visit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
ean25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

The confirmation email I was sent when I last renewed my Infinity contract says my "guaranteed minimum" speed is 54Mbps.  Since BT isn't delivering on this, can I terminate my contract?

0 Ratings
ean25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Hi Webby, thanks for your help.  What do you mean by connecting near the max obtainable rate?  BT's own DSL checker says the max rate for my line is 79Mbps, and I have had over 76Mbps for several years right up until the recent repair.  Why is 51Mbps now my maximum obtainable?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 14

Because there's a fault somewhere. Request an engineer as you are getting less than the guaranteed speed.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

The max attainable rate shown in the router is a snapshot of the best the line can perform at that moment, given the current parameters.

You won't be able to get out out of your contract that easily. You will need an engineer visit to find out why the line is performing below the expected speed and ideally find and fix the problem, putting your line back within the expected range.

If the line can't be improved, then and only then would you be released from your contract without penalty.

That said, even an increase of 8meg would put you in the accpetable range. Would you see a difference? Probably not.

I'd be minded to reduce to Infinity 1 and not think about it.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
ean25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Thanks everyone - any suggestions on the quickest way to arrange an engineer visit?  BT tech support has never offered me that option.

0 Ratings