cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
musicCat
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Please: who to contact at BT to check if the number ringing on my mobile is genuine.

My husband  was phoned several timeson his mobile from the number 08003289393, and texted from 61998 by the person saying:

"Hi there, Sara from BT here. Unfortunately when I called I could't get through. You can come to me directly on 013134574678.  ..Also any reply to this text will come back directly to me."

The problem is not only that we feel our privacy (and security)  compromised, to my surprise I even cannot check it with BT directly! I tried a Live Chat BT - but it is only for new customers, and the person said he doesn't know.... eyes openning! Thinking of leaving BT 

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
dbrear
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Please: who to contact at BT to check if the number ringing on my mobile is genuine.

You didn't think of ringing BT?

Pity no-one on the forum could help you, though ... I see the number you give isn't known ro Google so presumably it's spoofed. Don't worry, if BT need to contact you, they'll write or get through one way or another. 

BT is vulnerable to scamming because it's the biggest but it's not the only organisation affected.

0 Ratings
dbrear
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: Please: who to contact at BT to check if the number ringing on my mobile is genuine.

Google is your friend ... even though the number isn't known to Google, interestingly I see that there is a Sara Venables registered on Linkedin as Sales Operation Director BT Business and Public ...

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

08003289393 just google it there are numerouis entries saying a BT generic number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
robc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

A quick 'google' and looking on this forum:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Did-BT-Customer-Service-call-me-or-is-It-a-scam/td-p/1708390

reveals that the 0800 number is a genuine BT one.

Regards

Rob

0 Ratings
dbrear
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Useful reference Rob.

It was the 013 number I weas referring to.

0 Ratings