Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cairnoscar
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Plusnet to BT Switch

Go to solution

I have just placed an order to move from Plusnet fibre to BT fibre. I read somewhere that the BT router does not need a modem in which case I am concerned that the connections will be different and I end up being without broadband or is it just a case of switching routers?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Plusnet to BT Switch

Go to solution

BT will send either a home hub 5, or home hub 6 which does not need the extra modem, however I would not dispose of the modem, as you may need it at a later date.

Both BT home hubs plug directly into the phone socket, via a microfilter (if you do not already have a filtered master socket)

Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
The new hub 6 is an all in one device so it had the modem built into it. On activation date you simply unplug all of your existing kit and replace it with the home hub and then simply connect all of your deviced wirelessly to the new router.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
cairnoscar
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks. At the risk of appearing stupid can I also ask for more of your help? When the engineer fitted the modem for Plusnet the socket he fitted a socket which has a different fitting from a standard phone socket. Will this be a problem and Can I easily switch the socket myself? I am not sure if I have a filtered master socket. How will I tell? Thanks

0 Ratings
cairnoscar
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks

Agian I am a novice so can I ask will the connection from BT router fit the present connection fro the Open Reach Modem? I am trying to mak sure I have everything I need when The BT router arrives. Thanks

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

If its one of the first two, then you need to plug a microfilter into the socket, they come free with the home hub.

If it has a double socket like the other two, then the lead from the home hub will plug straight into the small socket.

Either way, it simply plugs in the same place as the Openreach modem does at the moment.

cairnoscar
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks very much. I am much happier and more confident. Really appreciate you taking the trouble.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@cairnoscar wrote:

Thanks very much. I am much happier and more confident. Really appreciate you taking the trouble.

Please return here if you have any issues with your new BT Connection, as there is usually plenty of people to help.

0 Ratings