Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Poking and hoping on BT email

Go to solution

I have newish PC with windows 7 and use Firefox and Thunderbird for Emails.

I upgraded to new  BT mail ages ago and it worked fine - I reset all my disposable email address's and other bit's that needed doing - Everything worked fine and as I use Thunderbird I had no reason to come back in to BT Mail.

However for last few month's I have found my emails gone - I log into Bt home page where my account is - click for BT mail and it opens. I get the hello box listing all my email address's - also get purple bar with "What's new-Mail-Contact's-Calender and setting".

That's it- click mail - empty page. -click contacts - empty page and so on-- All emails have gone so have contacts. - setting comes up to allow me to set time and day.

That's all I have and can do.

I could have clicked something somewhere - either on Thunderbird or on  Bt mail - I have no idea - one day it was fine and next time nothing.

Can anyone shed any light on this please - although I rarely use BT mail I need to access disposable and other settings.

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Poking and hoping on BT email

Go to solution

Have you ever had all the emails and contacts when you logged onto webmail.

It may be that you have set Thunderbird up as a POP3 account and did not tick the box to leave emails on the server, in which case they would be deleted from the serve as soon as you downloaded them to T'bird.

If you also only set your contacts up in T'bird they would not be on the server, they would be stored on your computer.

Have you tried sending an email from webmail to yourself to see id a) T'bird gets it  and b) to see if it shows up in the inbox on webmail. Check webmail first then check T'bird to see what happens.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I have had the emails but not sure of contact's  - I had to have had emails to set up my disposable emails -- At the moment I can't do anything as page is blank below purple strip - nothing down left hand side like Inbox -Sent -deleted -draft -junk - Nothing what so ever so can't even send a mail.

I seem to remember looking at Thunderbird and seeing the option to delete emails on server but pretty sure I left it as was  just in case Thunderbird went down.

It's just as though email account been deleted although I still have to log in as it's asking - I would think if I didn't have a email account it wouldn't ask me to log in.

As I said in first post my email address's come up on box to right of screen above purple tool bar and can click on other 4 address's and they change but are still blank as well.

One other thing - on purple tool bar the first option is "What's new" when I click that I get box up  saying "connection lost"  ??

I have no idea.

Dave

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Going by the other informtion you have supplied it would appear that there is a possible problem with your account.

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi DSPUK55,

I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I have had a call from India and was talked through a load of setting while he had access to my PC - after 20 min or so he came back and said he couldn't fix it and could be a server problem - Thing was he did get the whole page up for 20 sec or so but then he lost it.

So today I had another call from India - this time I really did struggle to understand the woman and gist of it was she thinks I have set Thunderbird to delete all mails after they come in to me- Now if that happened surely I would see the Email page with all headings down left side and tool bar on right - As it is I still have blank page - I have trawled through Thunderbird to try and find the button that says delete emails on server but can't find it - I am pretty sure I didn't click it as if PC gave up ghost then at least mails would still be on server.

So does anyone know where Thunderbird keeps it's kill email button on server.

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Tools > Account Settings > Server settings (in the appropriate account) if leave messages on server is ticked, they won't be deleted when you download them. This is only applicable for POP3. If IMAP, Thunderbird and the server always mirror each other.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

The problem is solver - Part user error part sods law I suppose.

The first engineer spent about 45 min logged into my computer and although he seemed  to have tried everything he got my mail page back for 20 sec then said it was a server problem.

Had a call from a young lady while I was out - from message she left just cought bit's of it and problem Thunderbird.

Scoured setting but to no use

In end rang the 0800 number and "Paul" was very good - he finally asked if I had IE which is on my computer but never opened - he said try  it and lo and behold there was BT mail - so it was a Firefox problem - I never did find what problem was but did find out you can do  a clean Firefox install which saves all your settings - tried BTmail and in straight  away.

So a tip for any FF users try clean install -  All I had to do was reinstall my passwords and start again - Checked each add on as I went and now it's working fine.

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings