cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Poor BB Download Speeds

I really hope someone from BT can help me. Although the guys from the BT call centre in India are friendly and mean well, I'm not getting anywhere.

I have now been put through to level 2 support who have slightly increased my download speeds but still not getting the speeds I used to.

My download speeds were lower than my upload speeds and I had that much noise on the phone it was unusable.

I have tried a different router, filters and have no extensions. I'm plugged straight into the master socket. Here's my stats:

Line state    Connected
Connection time    0 days, 4:51:31
Downstream    2,528 Kbps
Upstream    448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI    0/38
Type    PPPoA
Modulation    ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)    15.1 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)    45.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)    19.1 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)    0
Loss of Signal (Local)    0
Loss of Power (Local)    0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)    18718 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)    0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)    N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)    0

Download speedachieved during the test was - 768 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2528 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps

Thanks in advance
Paul

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Poor BB Download Speeds

welcome to the forum

your noise margin is high at 15 as normal is about 6 suggesting either line noise or resets or both.  your connection time is only 4+hrs is that due to a manual reset or the hub resetting on it's own?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PaulH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Many thanks for replying so quick.

The router has only been connected a few hours because tech support wanted me to try a different router.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

what about before that did you do some manual resets trying to get a better connection as 1 reset would not normally increase your noise margin to 15.  the hub could ofcourse have been resetting on it's own

did you try the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best done with a corded phone   if cordless then normal is a dull hum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PaulH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Hub was resetting on its own, I also did a few manual resets. Quiet line test is OK.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

your profile is low at 1000 due to all the reset and should be 2000 based on your current speed.  however you need to get a stable connection so need to leave the hub connected 24/7 without any resets and your profile should rise automatically.

if you manage to hold for 3/5 days without a reset and your noise margin is still at 15 then email the mods and get it reset to normal 6.  this should give an increase in your connection speed.

there is no point in getting noise margin reset unless you can show a stable connection as you will be back to your current position within a few days of the reset

PaulH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Thanks for your help. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know how I get on.

0 Ratings
PaulH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Here we go. It's now been a month since I started this thread and still getting nowhere. Here's my latest speed test results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 397 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :768 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps

Last dealing with Indian call centre a couple of days ago, they said they would call me back in 24 hours. No call. They just won't accept there is something wrong with the line. The noise is that bad the phone is unuseable.

PLEASE, is there anyone here from BT that can sort this long standing problem out???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

HI Paul H

Could you please repost your latest hub stats as you have had a massive connection speed drop has your hub been resetting?

If you have high noise on the voice part of your line that needs resolving first you need to phone BT faults on 151 and report a noisy line but do not mention broadband when you call once the line noise is resolved then your broadband service will improve

0 Ratings
PaulH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Thanks for the reply. Here's my stats:

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 5:46:40
Downstream3,040 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)11.3 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)45.0 dB / 28.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.6 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)1653804 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0

It hasn't been connected long because a recent phone call caused it to disconnect. I haven't rang 151 yet as the line noise seems to have gone, for now.

0 Ratings