cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Poor Broadband Since Upgrade at Exchange

Hi All,

I wish someone could solve my problem. BT upgraded the exchange in mid-February. I received this email on the 16th -

Good news

This is to let you know that we've now upgraded your line and you should now have an improved, more consistent broadband connection, and maybe a speed increase.

I had a very good connection before the upgrade. Consistently 7mb on an IP Profile of 7150 on ADSL Max. Anyway since the upgrade things have deteriorated somewhat. Consistency is not one of the services being offered. Service varies between nothing at all - even broadband light on HomeHub3 going out - and 6.9. I have been logging it every half hour during the day. Naturally I have been in touch with BT Service Desk and they have been ringing me every 2 days to see if things have improved! I have had an engineer out and he said the line was 'sweet' and capable of good speeds. He suggested the exchange should change me onto a 21CN circuit as I was on ADSLMax. He spoke to the exchange and they said to request it through BT Service Desk. I did so and they have said they have done it, but it really has made no difference. It IS worse than before the upgrade. I have checked out the line via KITZ and this gave me:

Estimation of your maximum rate adaptive adsl speed

Downstream Attenuation dB 24.0

Approx Line Length  1.7 km

dslMAX 8128kbps IP Profile 7150kbps

adsl2+ (21CN) 18688kbps IP Profile 16000kbps

adsl2+ (LLU) 18688kbps Throughput 16539kbps

BT Speedtester shows:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 5.16 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7.11 Mbps

Speedtester then came up with:

We have identified that you have additional services enabled on you broadband line, please click continue to run advanced service tests.

Except I don't have additional services on my line, e.g. video, TV. So what's that about too?

I believe I should gett a much more consistent, and higher, speed. I did before BT upgraded the exchange. Normally, I would let BT just get on with it. I am ex-BT TO and have remained 'loyal' to the old firm and have never used anyone else. But I am signed upto the £25 a month deal, and I have recently renewed it for another 18 months. So, this is beginning to irk me somewhat.

Any ideas what I should do next? All help will be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Roy

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Poor Broadband Since Upgrade at Exchange

ADSL2+ utilises a much larger frequency spectrum to acheive the same speed. If anything is restricting this, then your speed will be reduced.

Which type of master socket do you have?

One of these

NTE5_fl[1].jpg

Or one of these

LJU2_front[1].jpg

Or if you are lucky

One of these

adsl faceplate.jpg

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have the last type of master socket - lucky?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@RoyBennett wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have the last type of master socket - lucky?

I am assuming that you have your home hub plugged into the small front socket?

Can you please provide your full ADSL stats

then I can see what the current status is.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Hi,

Yep, all wiring is o.k. - checked out fully by BT engineer on his visit. My HomeHub3 settings are:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information

Line state: Connected

Connection time: 2 days, 19:07:50

Downstream: 8,064 Kbps

Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38

Type: PPPoA

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type: Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up): 11.6 dB / 28.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up): 24.0 dB / 11.0 dB

Output power (Down/Up): 19.8 dBm / 11.1 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up): 1712 / 50

CRC Events (Down/Up): 56 / 12

The line is still playing up - BT Service Desk will be ringing me, again, tomorrow. Something about the exchange engineers having problems getting my line to set a consistent speed.

Cheers,

Roy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

You have not been upgraded, you are still on the old ADSL service.

It does not happen automatically, you have to ask to be upgraded.

Did BT agree to do this when you renewed?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hi,

This is confusing me now. In my original post I said that I had requested the circuit be upgraded and I have been told several times since by BT Service Desk that the work has been carried out! How do I make sure that this is done? Also what are the indicators in my ADSL settings that tell you that I haven't been upgrade?

Cheers

Roy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@RoyBennett wrote:

Hi,

This is confusing me now. In my original post I said that I had requested the circuit be upgraded and I have been told several times since by BT Service Desk that the work has been carried out! How do I make sure that this is done? Also what are the indicators in my ADSL settings that tell you that I haven't been upgrade?

Cheers

Roy

Downstream: 8,064 Kbps

Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38

Type: PPPoA

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

You have been mis-informed I`m afraid.

Your best course of action would be to ask the BT Care Team, they will get to the bottom of this.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Thank you for your help. I have sent an email to the Care Team as suggested and with the details they have requested. The system gave me an enquiry reference number - how do I use it to track the progress of my problem?

BTW, my line as dropped off a cliff since the last email. BT Speedtester barely registers it when testing - most of the time it shows 0.00 with occasional surges. This does tend to bias the average speed it shows - but it is crawling along at the moment.

I hope the Care Team can help.

Cheers,

Roy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Keep a note of the tracking number, you will receive an e-mail when it is your turn in the queue.

The BT Care Team take ownership of the issue until it is resolved.

0 Ratings