cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Technojunkie
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Poor Broadband Speeds In The Evening

Recently the broadband speed I have been getting of an evening and some afternoons have dropped drastically. My lines IP Profile is 6.5Mbps and during the morning I usually get between 5.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps. However, by evening time this can drop to as low as 0.85Mbps and the best my line could achieve this evening was 1.55Mbps.

I ran the BTSpeedtest  "additional tests" and I got  "Video Quality Service Test Failed" with a message advising to contact my service provider as the BT Performance Tester Tool indicated poor performance !

I have been with BT Broadband since April 2011 and had been very pleased with the service but since the start of this year it seems to have become very erratic and I'm now starting to regret locking myself into an 18 month contract.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
harrjoa
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Poor Broadband Speeds In The Evening

Sounds like you have some congestion. Please can you post the results of the BT Speedtest onto this forum. And also if you post your hub stats up. We can give you some direction as to what to do next.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Hi Welcome to the forums

Are you connecting by ethernet or wireless 

If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.
also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/
Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Technojunkie
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Thankyou for the posts.

I'll run some BT Speedtests during today and this evening then post the results. Its definitely not anything to do with either my equipment or internal wiring as this morning my Broadband speeds are back to normal and so, assuming it is congestion (which I've never had a problem with before) is there anything I can do about it ?

I should also point out that I no longer use the BT HH3 as I had issues using it with an HP wireless printer so now have a Billion 7800N which workes perfectly.

I'll post some speedtest results later.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Possibly a low noise margin in the evening introducing CRC errors, this has been a very common problem since last November, when BT lowered the noise profiles.

See Noise margins

You can prove this by looking at your ADSL stats ADSL stats

Check them during the day, then again at night and put the results here.

0 Ratings
harrjoa
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

The Billion 7800N is a good router.
0 Ratings