cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RealMcP
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Poor Broadband performance - should we put up with it?

I've been with BT broadband for 6 months now. The speed is variable, and the support is slow & disruptive, and often non existent.  I've looked at the forum, and there seem to be plenty of contributors who are experiencing worse service levels than I am.

I want to change, but I'll be penalised if I cancel my contract.  I may as well cancel phone, too, so I can get an OK bundle elsewhere.  Does anyone here have experience of cancelling without penalty, or whether other suppliers (virgin) will do a deal, to get BT customers' to jump ship?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Poor Broadband performance - should we put up with it?

Did you want assistance with your broadband speed problems from forum members?

Discussion about other service providers is forbidden on this forum, under forum rules.

RealMcP
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Anyone responding should feel free to not mention other specific suppliers, in case they get censored.

Suggestions as to how to get BT to improve service levels, and how to complain successfully will be very welcome.  I define a successful complaint on one which results in problem being solved with minimum fuss.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Do you want the forum members to assist you with your broadband speed then please ask, this is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence are the forum moderators 

if you would like help the can you please provide the following information 

If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.
also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/
Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

The forum exists to help other BT Broadband users to identify issues that may be affecting their broadband service.

There is also a BT Care team that will assist if needed.

So that other forum members can help, please could you post you ADSL statistics here on the forum.

Instructions are here ADSL stats

Could you also please run a BT Speedtester session and post the results. http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

forums are by there nature were people come with problems looking to get them solved and the large majority of posts on theses board get resolved satisfactorily with a little self help and the additional help of the mod team if needed
RealMcP
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

The assistance I require is on how to improve broadband service.  I have already been to tech support, who have been of very little use.  I'm hoping other users may know how to resolve this.

I don't mind what the solution is - ultimately, it is how do I get the service that I paid for, when the support team tells me that I will get less than half that. If the resolutions offered so far are unacceptable, then I welcome any suggestions on how to get out of the contract without penalty.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

@RealMcP wrote:

The assistance I require is on how to improve broadband service.  I have already been to tech support, who have been of very little use.  I'm hoping other users may know how to resolve this.

I don't mind what the solution is - ultimately, it is how do I get the service that I paid for, when the support team tells me that I will get less than half that. If the resolutions offered so far are unacceptable, then I welcome any suggestions on how to get out of the contract without penalty.

Then do what has been asked on the previous posts in this thread, so we can see what is going wrong.

RealMcP
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

I've done that, and have been through the hoops with support & engineers.

I'm hoping fellow sufferers may have some new insights

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

We are trying to help you we need the information to help you there is little point using a help forum if you do not give us the information needed to help you