cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Poor Broadband performance since day 1 after switching to BT from Sky

Hey, I do hope some one can help me I'm soo frustrated!
I was with Sky broadband and had no issues with speed, lagginess or any problems of any sort to be honest so I'm a Bit confused as to why I'm struggling so bad with BT.
From the day I was switched I've had repeated problems browsing the web, I constantly have half loaded web pages, have to refresh pages or give up and switch to a neighbours BT connection altogether as its just so slow!

My connection speed is stable and has actually increased from 15500kb and 6db SNR to the 16500kb and 3db SNR it has now, the reduction in SNR has not affected the stability at all, it's exactly the same as with 6db. I used to run at 2db SNR with Sky with no issues just for the record.

I'm connected to the test socket, there's no extensions anyway but I'm still connected to that, I've changed micro filters, adsl cable, I've even gone back to my exact sky setup which I had no problems with and it's still laggy as anything.

Nothing has changed my end, at all really so I can only think there's an issue at the exchange or with BT somewhere. I do have an insane number of errors since switching too as you can see below. I had virtually none with Sky. If I run speedtester.net I get a great result which spikes and ends up slowing towards the end of the test and ends up on like 500kb/s which isn't normal.. The Quiet Line Test is silent.

I'll post a BT speedtester result when I can use a laptop. Sorry for the long post but I tried to get all info out there in one go, and I'm not saying Sky are amazing or anything, I used to have BT at my old house and it was great, I'm just giving the comparison to what it was like before.
Thank you!
-The short Uptime is due to me having my old router hooked up, I switched back to the Hub 3 due to needing help..
Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 10:44:05
Downstream: 16.28 Mbps
Upstream: 1.126 Mbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 4.3 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 27.4 dB / 16.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 427323630 / 34
CRC Events (Down/Up): 598839 / 5
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 1823236 / 2
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 15455 / 5

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Poor Broadband performance since day 1 after switching to BT from Sky

hi this link may help in reducing the errors http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

also the quiet line test should be totally silent any noise affects broadband service any noise heard should be reported to BT Faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

As I said in my original post i've already done the quiet line test which is silent, and I've just done it again and its silent.

Nothing has changed in my house since switching as I said so I highly doubt anything is causing interference. I've already tried turning everything in the house off and nothing changes.. I was on Fastpath but DLM has changed me to interleaved already.

Recent HomeHub Stats:

Line state: Connectedppp0_0
Connection time: 0 days, 21:18:56
Downstream: 16.28 Mbps
Upstream: 1.126 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 2.6 dB / 6.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 27.4 dB / 16.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 444918496 / 111
CRC Events (Down/Up): 599447 / 32
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 1833884 / 55
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 15724 / 22

BT Speedtester

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed  14.37 Mbps    0 Mbps 21 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 14.37 Mbps  

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.  

IP Profile for your line is - 14.71 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed  0.91 Mbps    0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.91Mbps  

Additional Information:  Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Are you using a wired or wireless connection
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

that is a huge number of crc/hec errors and errors seconds for only 21hrs connected - there is a noise problem on your connection. 

if you are connected to test socketwith a new filter and quiet line test is ok then you need to contact mods for assistance.  Do you still have sky tv and if so is sky box connected to phone line with good filter? 

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I know, massive numbers! I literally had 0 on sky but I was on fast path then I think.. I never had issues so didn't pay that much attention.
My sky box isn't connected to the phone line, never has been. Yep connected to test socket, there's no wires to the front plate so don't think that makes any difference anyway..? Doesnt affect stats. Tried 4 filters over time including the sky one that used to be perfect.
I primarily use wifi on Apple i devices but do have a laptop and the ps3 and sky is ethernet.
I've used that form to contact the mods, thanks.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

just matter of waiting now - please post back after mods contact you with update

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings