cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spokenmotion
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Poor Freeview reception through Youview Box

We've just had BT Infinity installed and decided to get the TV Starter Pack as well.

I must say that I really like the Youview interface, but our Freeview reception is very poor through the Youview box.  We live in a tower block with an aeriel on the roof.  When the aeriel is plugged straight into our smart tv the Freeview reception is perfect.

However, when we plug the aeriel into the Youview box, the SD channels are notably more pixelated.  Some appear more pixelated than others, but there is a very notable drop in quality compared to when the aeriel is plugged straight into the telly.  The HD channels are fine. I've looked at the signal quality in Settings, and Signal Strength appears to be 75% and Signal Quality is 100%.

The internet channels such as BT Sport are all fine.

Has anyone else had this issue?  Is this the trade off for having a Youview box?  Or have I just got a dud?

If this is not rectifiable we will be unplugging the Youview box and just using it for times when we want to watch things on BT Player.

Any help/advice appreicated,

Ian

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Poor Freeview reception through Youview Box

It's due to the fact the box has twin tuners, so a more powerful signal will be needed. You could try a signal booster.
0 Ratings
philgo
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

If you read the BT terms and conditions it does state that it is not responsible for your freeview part of your contract.

After many problems of pixelation and broken up picture and many visits from BT and contractors working from BT who could not find a problem I decided to investigate the problem myself. The main problem is the You View + Box. The freeview tuner fitted is very poor quality and suffers from signal level overload and does not appear to have any kind of regection of impulse noise. The tuners fitted in modern TV,s are superior and one of the reasons the TV works without problems. My original TV setup was a full Distribution system with a 6 output loft unit wich was fed from a 52 element high power wideband aerial which was mounted in the loft. This setup was great in analogue days, but not in the digital world. The mail reason for problems of pixelation and loss of picture  is more likley to be from impulse noise picked up from the wiring in the building when fridges ,central heating thermostats switches and other electrical equipment are operating. Moving the aerial just 4 foot OUTSIDE the building has solved the problem.  A good aerial with high quality satellite grade copper foil screened cable and aerial plugs with screw conections are very important. if the signal is to high for the You View box you can just plug in an inline attenuator in the aerial lead before the You View box. Mine has been working without a problem for the past two weeks.

0 Ratings
spokenmotion
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Philgo,

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply, although I'm not sure I understood all of it.  In short, I think you are saying try an attenuator.... or bin the Youview box.  I share a communal aeriel as I live in a block of flats, so have no control over making any changes beyong my aeriel socket.

Is there anything else you suggest I can do to improve the situation?  I can't believe more people aren't complaining about the box if Youview use a sub-standard Freeview tuner.

Ian

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

So HD channels are OK, but not SD? Those signal figures are good, try retuning a few times.
0 Ratings
spokenmotion
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for your advice, but re-tuning doesn't seem to make any difference.
0 Ratings
Graham420
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Forwhat it is worth, I had a very similar problem with my BT vision box. Aerial signal was fine when routed directly to the tv but a lot of pixelation via the box. In the end I carefully tidied up all of the wires behind my box and tv keeping power cables and any potential sources of interference as far away from the aerial cable as I could - I have even wrapped the aerial cable in aluminium foil. Now that my aerial cable goes to the wall without other cables touching or wrapping round it I have no pixelation. I don't pretend to be an expert but this worked for me. Good luck!

0 Ratings
derryviewer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Try a retune with no aerial plugged in.

Start the retune process and when it gets to 1% pull the aerial out from the BT box.

Let it complete to 100%. 

Exit from the menus, power off the box and then switch it back on.

Put the aerial back in and do another retune.

0 Ratings
Holgate001
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

We too have had problems with pixillation on the latest Youview box. As others have said we had over 70% strength and 100% quality. We have never recieved any error messages on screen. 

After reading this thread I've separated co axial cable from HDMI & Power cables. Additionally I've fitted a 4g mobile mast filter as there has recently been a 4g mobile mast activated neat our house and also fitted a timing socket to the mains supply to the Youview box to power the box down and reboot it once a morning at 6am (off for about 10 minutes so we don't miss any software updates.

Since doing these three things we have been problem free for about two weeks now. I suppose I Should try removing my "fixes" one at a time to see which one was the magic cure but I don't have the nerve, just happy it's OK now. 

Does anyone know why there doesn't seem to be any error messages associated with this problem, it seems to be a problem for a fair number of installations.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

Maybe take a look at:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/BT-Youview-box-receives-less-channels-then-my-smart-TV-any...

Also if you have a aerial connections to both the YouView box and your TV, make sure that the aerial connection goes in to YouView box first and then into your TV from that.

0 Ratings