cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Poor Wi-Fi Throughout The House

Hi all,

Moved house last month and unfortunately Virgin did not have services available in the area, only choice was BT, one I really wanted to avoid as I've never had a positive experience with their internet service. 

My wired connection is perfect. Speeds as advertised, no issues, but the Wi-Fi is garbage throughout the house. If I run the BT App's test 2 inches from the hub, the signal is poor. My hub is on the ground floor, two discs on the second floor, a third on the top floor.

The two discs on floor 2 are connected to a PC and a TV via Ethernet because it kept dropping, but it's still garbage. Internet cuts out, speed isn't fast enough for basic VoIP functions to work. They sent round an Open Reach engineer who basically said the app was **bleep** and wrong, and he did little more than test the line (which I knew was fine because of my ethernet speeds to the hub) and walk around the house showing me the Wi-Fi bars on his phone.  They sent a new hub, no change. Disc after disc, nothing. 

I pay extra for this "guaranteed Wi-Fi" garbage in every room but it's not stable in a single room, forget all rooms. I'm out of ideas and the folk at BT, while polite and friendly, don't appear to have any ideas either. I can understand perhaps poor performance in other rooms due to insulation or something but to be inches from the hub and still have a poor signal, I'm at a loss. 

Any ideas/suggestions/alternatives to the BT setup? I'm not overly tech savvy with this stuff so laymen terms if possible please. 

Thanks!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Poor Wi-Fi Throughout The House

Hi,

Did you ever get anything useful from anyone regarding this, other than you need to spend more money? I am in the same situation, which is very frustrating as I had no issues at all with Sky, but now BT SH2 can't do signal past 1 wall!

Message 3 of 3

Re: Poor Wi-Fi Throughout The House

I've not found a solution. I've sent two further complaints to BT. They've changed the Wi-Fi channels. It worked for a couple of days, then went to **bleep** again.  When I say it worked, the signal was above poor in at least one room.

Even now, 3ft from my hub, I run the BT test, poor. My sons Xbox on the top floor is constantly dropping. My partners PC upstairs is all over the place. 

I refuse to pay out of pocket because of their subpar equipment. I'm giving them another week, purely because their staff are very friendly and are really trying to help, before I claim the £100 from their guarantee and use that to get my own equipment.