cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Rob_
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Poor iPlayer Streaming Performance

Ok, after a long wait, we finally have Infinity installed and running.  Not as fast as we'd hoped, but creeping towards 30Mbps at some point during the day.

However, I'm getting a lot of problems with iPlayer connection quality - frequent freezes and drop outs.  This is from PC and Vision access.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Is this congestion on BT's core network? Our previous £5/Month Sky Broadband was far superior.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Infinitechris
Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Poor iPlayer Streaming Performance

Iplayer should stream properly and there is no significant congestion problem for most infinity users. How are you connecting to the Hub if its wireless that is where you probably have a problem? Check for conflicting wireless networks using a tool like Inssider 2 (freeware). The HH3 is not that good at maintaining wireless connections which is poor  given the BT advertising. Other suggestions include updating drivers for wireless cards etc. lots of people have had difficulties I dumped the HH and use another router.

_Rob_
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Hi, thanks for the response. Wired ethernet connection for both PC and Vision box, directly into the HH.

At 20-30Mbps, streaming should be perfect, even in HD. so there must be congestion or packet loss upstream?
0 Ratings
nomi13
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

I have the same problem with iPlayer and with streaming to my Apple TV. With HH2 there were no problems and if I'm just using the laptop there are rarely any problems. As soon as I try to use iPlayer/Apple TV the connection drops. From what I'm reading here it's because I'm using wireless?! I'm so annoyed, if I had known it wouldn't work with Infinity as it did before I wouldn't have signed up to it!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

HI wireless connections can easily be resolved normally by simply changing wireless channels to a less used one a useful programme to use is insidder find an unused or channel with a weak signal on it then that should resolve your wireless issues
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 19

@nomi13 wrote:

I have the same problem with iPlayer and with streaming to my Apple TV. With HH2 there were no problems and if I'm just using the laptop there are rarely any problems. As soon as I try to use iPlayer/Apple TV the connection drops. From what I'm reading here it's because I'm using wireless?! I'm so annoyed, if I had known it wouldn't work with Infinity as it did before I wouldn't have signed up to it!

Just a quick thing.... Suggest you change the HH3 wireless channel selection from Automatic to...... a clear Channel number.

Innsider will help you identify a good channel to set it to.

I am wondering if the Hub is automatically hopping around channels and causing your iPlayer etc to play up... 

http://bthomehub.home/ log in then go to advanced setting... wireless and then move from Automatic and select a channel.

Then press apply at the bottom right of that page.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

_Rob_
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

My problem is not WiFi related. Connections are wired.

However totally agree on HH3 Automatic channel selection. There were 6 networks on channel 1, one on 6 and one on 11. Guess which channel was selected for less interference...
0 Ratings
nomi13
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

I checked my HH3 settings and yes it was on Automatic. I've switched it to 1, then 6, then 11 and the same thing is still happening. I've been online for several hours this evening on my laptop but as soon as I try to use Apple TV as well the connection to both dropped within 4 minutes.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 19

@nomi13 wrote:

I checked my HH3 settings and yes it was on Automatic. I've switched it to 1, then 6, then 11 and the same thing is still happening. I've been online for several hours this evening on my laptop but as soon as I try to use Apple TV as well the connection to both dropped within 4 minutes.

Apologies for not addressing the other poster's wired problem... other than to ask if they are wired/plugged into the high speed Gig ethernet socket. (Or just try another socket).

On the wireless connection.....

My next thing was to ask if your using wireless n, perhaps you need that  extra speed to get the Apple working smoothly and stay connected.

To check you can either log into your HH3 go to advanced settings then click on Home Network, then in the wireless list click on your laptop and it will give you your speed. wireless g gives 54Mbps and wireless n faster 65/72mbps etc.

Or click on your laptops wireless icon and go to the Network Sharing Centre (win 7) then click on connections and another box appears with the connection details including it's speed.

Other things to be aware of.... Cordless phone bases etc http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/367672/whats-killing-your-wi-fi

But then I suppose your "normal" surfing would play up as well.

I'm running out of ideas..... notice Ady199 had a similar problem HERE a few months ago and at the end of that thread Rottie in message #4 suggests a different router.

And Ady199 has just posted that he is getting that router It may be worth your while starting your own thread with something like  "anyone got Apple TV working ok on Infinity and HH3?" or whatever and hopefully Ady199 might reply with his findings. (Or reply to Ady's post in that thread asking if he could let you know if when he gets his new router if it cures the Apple Tv problem he posted about in August HERE).

Hub connection details of my laptop when on wireless n and then wireless g

Connection Information
Connection type:Wireless
Connection speed:77 Mbps

Connection Information
Connection type:Wireless
Connection speed:54 Mbps
--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------

PC (NDEGR)

PC
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 19

@nomi13 wrote:

Ady199 Post here.- http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Wireless-N-USB-adaptor-only-connecting-at-54-Mbps-WHY/m-p/294...

He is very pleased with the performance of his new router and it  looks as if it fixed his Apple TV problem.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings