cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Poor picture on live BT Sport through their app

Hello, I am having trouble watching live BT Sport, what happens is that when footballers run quickly their legs move too quickly and in a jerky way. There are no error messages and both our computers one a laptop another a PC are only 3 months old.

BT have told me that this is caused because Windows 8.1 and Microsoft Silverlight are not compatible with BT SPORT ! But they never told me this when I placed my order for the package neither did they tell me that I needed Infinity, neither did they tell me that even after I got Infinity as soon as it became available that the exchange did not have the equipment to broadcast BT Sport.

BT have nothing else to offer me to resolve this problem apart from waiting for the new equipment to be installed in the exchange. I have uninstalled and re installed Silverlight and I have the correct time on my computer.

I have had no option but to refer this to the Ombudsman who are now looking into the problem. BT have had 6 months to sort it out but I believe that this is mis selling as they must have known that it was not possible for me to watch BT Sport through the app or through my Youview box or they should have checked when I placed my original order.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Poor picture on live BT Sport through their app

Welcome to the forum. Whoever told you that BT Sport was incompatible with Windows 8.1 and Silverlight was talking rubblish. Windows 8.1 handles it perfectly well and Silverlight is actually essential to get BTS.

Picture quality when streaming from the internet is always likely to be poorer than a TV service, even TV in standard definition. I regularly stream football with Windows 8.1 on BTS and Sky Go (which also relies on Silverlight) and the effect you describe is always present on both; it also occurs to a lesser degree with catch-up services accessed on the net. Without seeing your results it's not possible to say whether your experience is normal or if you have a particular problem. If football is watchable, albeit with some blurring of detailed action, it's probably normal.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your reply. It was the BT Digital Care Team that told me that there is a compatability problem with BT Sport and 64 bit windows 8.1 and Silverlight, by now I think that they will say anything. I have not noticed any viewing problems with recorded programmes. I have no technical knowledge of how tv programmes are transmitted but it is disappointing to realize that in 2014 a perfect picture can not be sent and received by the latest technology after all for how long has the BBC broadcast live sport via aerials and Sky have even managed to send their signal to space first before beaming it down ?

Do you think that the BT Sport picture will improve if it is sent from the exchange to the tv via the Youview box ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

FRUSTRATEDONE wrote:

Do you think that the BT Sport picture will improve if it is sent from the exchange to the tv via the Youview box ?

Yes.

I think you're expecting too much from the internet. The precise technology is beyond me but in a nutshell here's how I understand it. Video uses a great deal of bandwidth, and the provision of high quality pictures from the internet to be accessed by thousands of individual viewers would be trying to get a quart into a pint pot. On the other hand, TV via broadband uses multicast to deliver a single high quality stream to large numbers of viewers simultaneously. Maybe someone with more expertise will post a better explanation.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

Football on broadcast SD TV can show these sort of symptoms with players looking like they have a swarm of bees around their heads as does the ball from the main long shot.  Close ups are less affected. Have a look at the Europa Cup on ITV4 to see what I mean.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

I had that issue at times, just restarting the stream cleared it up.

0 Ratings