Message 22 of 44

Re: Poor quality HD image

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Please keep it friendly.

Neil

BTCare Community Mod
///

Please do not patronise me nor insult. That reflects more on ambassadors of BT products.

No matter, I dont need to contribute anymore, it is pointless.

I've every confidence my fathers YouView+ box will be the same as mine and for reasons we are no doubt sick and tired, if not bored stiff of discussing here.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 44

Go to solution

OMG really, its not being insulting he was just advising. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 44

Go to solution

This is a user forum to help people. People on here have tried to help and ask for details on your setup. I'm not sure why you even bothered posting here if you didn't want help. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 44

Go to solution

I posted here to advise others that may be considering purchasing the YouView+ box that the performance of this product is not brilliant. Though ordinary, 'non-technically minded people' or people such as easily pleased kids for example, may think otherwise.

Up until two weeks ago, I owned a Freesat satellite system which was vastly superior in image quality to the YouView+ system I returned to BT today.

I would not have wasted my time signing up to a contract for a product which is insuperior to the one I can't now use because of changing topology of where I live.

In a simple analogy, the change is like going from a Ferrari to a Skoda, that's how different the change in performance is. Both cars work perfectly well but within their respective design constraints and the same applies to the Freesat system and YouView+ BT-come-Humax clone devices.

It doesnt matter about the programme content as I hardly watch TV but when I do sit down for something special, I would like it to perform consistently and on par with my previous experience. Sadly, given the environmental constraints here, this is not a possibility for the foreseable future.

The Playstation 3 I use will still give Blu-Ray and streamed content and I will rely on that for most of my viewing. Unfortunately, CH4 HD, BBC2 HD, BBC4HD and BBC News HD will no longer be an option unless I can see a YouView reciever that finally cuts the mustard in time to come. This is no offence to BT, as their service is not at fault, (I've been a BT customer for decades for phone and ISP) but it is the product which is made for them which is substandard compared to other devices and delivery systems I've happily owned until recently.

For those that disagree with my review of the product, thats unfortunate and I wish I could care more but I don't. I realise that I am very much in the minority but my review is based on personal experience and which I am confident I will see again next week on an identical YouView+ system. I very much realise I see things from a critical technical perspective and I can't help my background and looking for things many people without that knowledge or experience can't see. However, if you are someone who knows what performance from high end digital processing can do for an image or sound, on specific technical aspects of image and sound, then you will understand the difference good design can make to a user experience.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 44

Go to solution

@Ryme_Intrinseca wrote:

In a simple analogy, the change is like going from a Ferrari to a Skoda

Or as has been repeatedly pointed out to you rather more like going from a working Ferrari to a broken Porsche.  For the most part, everyone else's Porsche is working just as well as your working Ferrari.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 44

Go to solution
your box is broken and faulty!!!!! also people don't check here for reviews. they will check review sites and the industry magazines. which all clearly state what a great piece of kit the youview box is and also shows how wrong you are which yet again means your box is FAULTY!!!!!
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 44

Go to solution

Porche versus a Ferrari???

But I compared it against a Skoda - its that bad.

I've seen the two boxes (Freesat v YouView+) working together and there is no comparison, just as there isnt one between Skoda and Ferrari.

No matter, I will see my fathers YouView+ box next week and compare. This will be a fair comparison, i.e. like for like, since if the glaringly substandard digital processing appears in that one too (which it will) then case closed.

It seems to me you will put up with the performance as you have nothing else to compare it against, except perhaps someone elses word for it (i.e. reviewers). Personally I wont put up with it. That's why I sent the unit back yesterday. Why should I pay for a second rate product when I had an outstanding product before? It would be like going back to the dark ages for me. I'd rather go without than put up with it.

Moreover, you are taking my description of the product to heart. Please don't take this so personally.

I tried to explain very carefully, I see the effects of digital processing differently to you. I'm not sure how expert you are or how deeply you understand how digital signals are processed, even at a superficial level, but I've studied at a very high level and worked professionally in this field for many years and therefore perhaps my expectations and needs of a product like this are different to yours? I dont know? 

To the trained and experienced eye (and without resorting to formal analysis with test equipment) the YouView+ reciever is not as good at processing as my now unusable Freesat system, and by some margin. For me, on a technical level, this is intolerable. If I watched TV and depended on it as a way of life, then I would have to swallow the fact I needed YouView+.

You seem to percieve that the YouView+ box is showing a very bad picture and I can understand you keep trying to reinforce to me that you believe there is a fault. Yet, there is no fault because the substandard processing is very subtle and for the average viewer no one would care much. However, I do care because I know what I'm seeing and why too.

However, in all fairness to the untrained eye and someone who is not particulary able to understand signal processing, then to all intents and purposes the YOuView+ box appears to work well. Indeed this is the case. However, for someone who has been used to exceptional performance and outstanding quality visual reproduction, such as in my former Freesat system, then everything else is going to be a disappointment thereafter or rather until something comparable comes along.

This is where I am at and for someone who would be in the same situation, I am confident they'd feel the same. Granted though, I'm one in a hundred thousand people. However, as I said previously in this thread, if I could have had someone explain this specific technical aspect, to this particular YouView+ box, at the level I am explaining it, then I would trust their opinion because much of what they'd have written would have had a ring of authenticity about it. Therefore, I would have not taken out the contract and wasted so much time and potentially the money over it, including writing endlessly here about it!

I've shared my experiences with others on this forum so they can get a wider view, even if it is from a niche perspective. After all, it's a democracy and all views and experiences are valid, both yours and mine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 29 of 44

Go to solution

@Ryme_Intrinseca wrote:

It seems to me you will put up with the performance as you have nothing else to compare it against

And you would be dead wrong if you mean me.  I currently have six Freeview / Youview / Freesat / Blueray / DVD boxes hooked up to my TV.  There are subtle differences in PQ between all of them when comparing like with like but not to the order of magnitude that would be offputting to any but the most OCD viewer sitting inches from the screen.

OTOH I am first in the queue when it comes to criticising the Youview UI which seems to have been designed by someone who has seen how everyone else does it then was determined to be different just for the sake of it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 44

Go to solution

I am similar to gomezz, I have a lot of additional equipment plugged into my TV, including a £1200 Blu ray player, Xboxone etc, Sky HD box and Freesat HD box. Which still leads me to think the box is faulty or not been setup correctly.

0 Ratings