cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Poor signal strength - despite using plug-ins (infinity socket needs relocating)

Go to solution

We're really unhappy with our TV service from BT and this is despite spending many hours in many calls (no exageration!!) on the phone to BT over the last 3 weeks. We ordered BT sport. As current Infinity customers we thought things would be straighforward. The YouView box didn't pick up the sports channels so we were advised we needed a BT Vision box instead (we've now been told by BT this was incorrect). The BT Vision box arrived then after more calls(!) the card arrived. The system works in a limited way but now there are no BBC HD channels because BT Vision does not support them. But also we keep getting the message that our signal is not strong enough.

We were happy with YouView (except crucially no sport channels!) it felt like progress and as though we were getting a good product for our money. Now we are simply very frustrated with a significantly substandard service. Of course I called BT for another marathon call. They agreed to put in wiring from the upstairs socket to downstairs for free (usual cost £35) so obviously they agree we are not being served well and the terms of our contract are not being met. The real problem is that the infinity socket was put in the wrong place. The engineer who put it in charged us extra to put (unsightly) wiring all the way up the stairs and around 4 doorways(!!) and fixed it near our old modem (we cannot agree to having yet another unwanted cable running back down the stairs again!). We have little techinical knowledge (as you can tell from my limited terminology) we didn't question the siting and paid up the extra! We now understand that the socket should be resited dowstairs near the main BT socket, where it should have been installed in the first place (we took up Infinifty early on and think that perhaps at that time engineers were not fully trained in the optimum location, or perhaps the engineer was happy to use our ignorance to take extra money from us). Our neighbours (who each took up Infinity much later) have infinity sockets on the ground floor near their main phone sockets. We feel BT should move our socket so that we can use the service we have subscribed to. Have others had similar problems and what have been the outcomes? We have always been BT customers but feel that we might have to discuss ending the contract and find other suppliers - so disappointing and annoying.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 5

Re: Poor signal strength - despite using plug-ins (infinity socket needs relocating)

Go to solution

Hi Kah33

I am terribly sorry that you have had problems with BT recently.  I'll be happy to help.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: Poor signal strength - despite using plug-ins (infinity socket needs relocating)

Go to solution

Hi Craig

Can you let me know if you didn't get my email please? The days are going by and we still have no progress

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the help, particularly NeilO who persisted despite difficulties in getting contact!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Regular
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I nearly ordered a new aerial after spending many hours talking to BT's Techies.  They convinced me that the fault was not with their box.  Luckily we have an honest aerial fitter and after putting  a filter on the aerial input lead the problem was solved! Because there is no facility on startup to choose the area with the strongest signal, during the initial tuning it homes in on the first signal it finds, even though it might be the weakest.  Full marks to our man and no marks at all to BT.

0 Ratings