cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 50

Poor speed in peak hours - losing will to live - ongoing technical query lasting a month so far!

Hi BT,

I am almost at the point of begging someone to help me here, thank you in advance for your time and insight. It was with a heavy heart that I departed from BE There after Sky's takeover, and invested a little faith in BT. I started a contract for BT Total Broadband 3, and received an immaculate service for the first ten days or so of my contract.

Then, quite suddenly, I started receiving dramatic drop-outs in peak hours only. As I type this, BT Speedtest reports downstream of 18.95mbps (as quoted) but by tonight, it will be down to around 0.05-0.1. This is with both a wireless and wired test, and has endured, every day, for around a month now. I work from home, and it's losing me money every night; if I restart the router then it sometimes picks up by a few mbps, but within minutes has returned to where it was. 

I have a query open with BT Technical help department who, unlike general customer services, have been very responsive and helpful! I have been sending them regular diagnostics, however no-one can yet seem to identify what the problem is. They first suggested resetting to factory settings - no change. I then ran the full diagnostics with the aid of a BT worker's call last Friday, including TAP3 and everything that comes after, and the verdict was that my Broadband is 'performing extremely poorly and that a fault would be raised'.

I found this reassuring; however another employee called me this morning to tell me BT had spoken to the exchange, and ascertained that supposedly everything was 'fine with my line'. She suggested I try testing the service using the master socket in the white BT box, however there is no response when I try this - I cannot connect to Broadband, or get a dial tone. I am keen to know how much of an issue this could be, and whether this represents a problem on 'my' side or BT's? I have tried changing filter - same result. I have also called 17070 and there appears to be absolutely zero noise on my line. 

I am at my wits' end, and constantly curse the decision I made to throw away a connection that hadn't misfired once in three years for one that is effectively unusable in the evenings/weekends. I have also recently finished a full time study course, money is short and I am slowly suspecting that I am going to be strong-armed into paying exorbitant engineers' fees to look at a connection that, with my previous ISP, functioned perfectly. This is desperately depressing; please, please could someone try and help?

😞

This is my current ADSL status at 13.30:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:30:55
Downstream:20.9 Mbps
Upstream:1.133 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):3.0 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):14.5 dB / 7.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 11.5 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):63 / 32
0 Ratings
49 REPLIES 49
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 50

Re: Poor speed in peak hours - losing will to live - ongoing technical query lasting a month so far!

can you go back to stats page and 'show detail' and post rest of errors please.  conenction time is very short is that due to router dropping connection or manual reset?

are you conencted to master or preferably the test socket?  do you have other extension sockets in your home?

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 50

Re: Poor speed in peak hours - losing will to live - ongoing technical query lasting a month so far!

Hi there, thanks for your response 🙂

Connection time is short due to my testing via the test socket about half an hour before posting on here. As in the above post, there is no response from the test socket; the master socket works fine (apart from the obvious slow-down issues in peak hours). The master socket is the only one in the house, and I've used it without issue for years before switching over to BT. 

These are the requested full stats which I've just obtained (I had to restart the router again, which will explain the short connection time again!)

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:03:52
Downstream:21.02 Mbps
Upstream:1.129 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):3.0 dB / 6.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):14.5 dB / 7.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 11.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):1 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 7
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):68 / 0

PS - if you want me to leave it a while before posting stats, given the router has just been restarted, just let me know and I'll make this happen! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 50

sorry missed your comment about test socket.  if your test socket does not work then are there wires conencted to terminals 2 & 5 on the front plate of master?  do you by any chance hace a box on wall outside like this?  external_NTE_1.png

there is certainly something wrong/different if test socket does not work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 50

Cheers again for your quick response.

I have attached photos of my setup; there is no box such as the one you described anywhere on my property, the small BT box (see attached) links a wire outside of my property all the way to the main BT box on the front of the house (see attached again).

I have also attached a photo of the wiring inside the box in my house.

What is strange is, when I unplug the faceplate from the master socket, I can STILL make calls / use Broadband. Yep, while still plugged into the master socket. It is unplugged as I send this message - this is all while the test socket itself fails to function full stop. The box has a Talktalk logo on it, not BT - I imagine it possibly functions differently as a result...? 

BT photo1.JPG

BT photo2.JPG

BT photo3.JPG

BT photo4.JPG

BT photo5.JPG

Please note that, in the instance of photos 2 and 3, my Broadband CONTINUES to function, as does my phone. Even though the faceplate is disconnected.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 50

from looking at your pics

the small rectangular box has 3 wires and I think probably one of left is incoming bt wire and the other 2 wires are going to sockets.  the one with the faceplate off does not work in test socket as the incoming wires are connect to terminals 2 & 5 on the front plate - hence why fron plate works and test does not.

what about the other wire?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 50

That junction box is exactly how my neighbours line was wired. BT line in to the junction box, then one cable to the master socket downstairs, and one cable to an upstairs socket. Also master socket is not correctly wired.

It should be........

Cable from BT into the junction box, then one cable from junction box wired in to rear of master socket, all of which is the property of BT. ALL extentions are then wired from the back of frontplate. This way, when plugged into test socket, all internal (customers) wiring is taken out of the equation.........   

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 50

Hi guys,

Thanks for the useful information.

I've had a bit more of a look around the front of the house (there's quite a bit of foliage obscuring the view initially). The small BT junction box does indeed have two wires appearing to run to sockets; one to the socket I'm using, and the other via a wire that goes around the outside of the house and in through a wall into what is now my bedroom. Unfortunately I cannot find the socket in my bedroom as I assume it was removed when the house was renovated before I moved in.

Regarding the wiring; thank you for clarifying why the test socket isn't working. I have spoken to BT technical support on the phone in the time between the above responses, who have raised a complex issue and arranged for an engineer to visit my property on Wednesday. I understand the usual applies - if the problem is on my side then I pay, if it isn't then I don't, etc. 

What I need to know, and what is important is - the incorrect wiring as you have described it - are BT likely to look at this and state that the issue cannot be solved before the wiring is addressed, and this will thus be done at a cost to myself? Should I cancel the engineer, and try to re-wire it myself first? What would you suggest?

Also - finally - my problem obviously lies with dramatic slow-downs at peak hours - is it actually feasible that this is possibly entirely down to the incorrect wiring / test socket not working? I am fearful that I'll be charged just to fix the wiring, then the problem will remain anyway, meaning potential further costs later?! I am not very clued up as to how this all works but the way I see it, the Broadband works FINE for half of every day and if there was a wiring issue on my side, surely this would affect it ALL the time?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 50

just for information that master socket is an older version of the existing Openreach ones just with the old telecom badging on it nothing to do with talk talk
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 50

I can't believe that openreach wired the 'master' socket to the front plate so it is reasonable to assume it was before you moved in.  anything prior to master socket is up to openreach but if someone has tampered with previous wiring then openreach will charge to fix it

you actual router stats look ok but you need to post results from btspeedtester - when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results.

0 Ratings