cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 50

Re: Poor speed in peak hours - losing will to live - ongoing technical query lasting a month so far!

I have sent you a PM which may help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 50

Re: Poor speed in peak hours - losing will to live - ongoing technical query lasting a month so far!

I have also noticed that the wires going to the back of your frontplate appear to be incorrect. The normal Bt wiring uses the two blue wires only. It looks very much like your socket is connected using one blue wire and the orange wire ? It appears that at some time in the past, a diy'er has been trying to wire in extra sockets, and not followed, what is now, the norm.........

Although i'm no expert, I would imagine that BT would certainly charge you to sort this out......Smiley Sad 

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 50

Thanks guys. I've just spoken to BT again on the phone and explained what my wiring setup is; they say I have a 'star' wiring arrangement, which is absolutely ancient and would require updating to a direct line from the telephone pole to the master socket. Apparently before this is done, they wouldn't be able to run a test with their engineer and would thus DEFINITELY charge me £100 to sort it out because internal wiring problems are apparent and they need fixing first.

They recommended I try and find a local electrician who can do this for me instead, although the few I've rung all say they aren't covered by their liability to address stuff with telephone poles. Starting to feel like I might need to just pay the £100 😞

What really p*sses me off is the fact this arrangement worked PERFECTLY with BE There for nearly four years prior. Meh.  

Jolly, I'll check your pm now mate - many thanks! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 50

Just as a quick response to imj's earlier message,

Might have misunderstood in which case apologies, but I've already done the full diagnostic test via BTspeedtester in conjunction with a BT engineer on the phone (including some fairly advanced stuff which involved renaming my username in the HH back-end)... The verdict from the BTSpeedtester website was my connection was functioning poorly.

My results at present are as follows:

bt speed 080713 1638.jpg

The other night they were (and are every night) as follows:

bt speed 050713 2049.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 50

the first btspeedtester results look ok and consistent with your profile but the second set the throughput speed is rubbish.  were the tests done wifi or ethernet?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 50

I test with both means every day, these two were both Ethernet although the performance is usually slightly worse still with wi-fi. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 50

are there any problems shown for your exchange http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 50

as throughput bad a night can you post new router stats with errors and btspeedtester later tonight say 9ish as that is peak time and may show your low throughput and possibly errors on crc/hec

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 50

Stats posted so far only show a few minutes connection time. If and when it slows down tonight, can you please post the stats again. I fear you may well have an interference problem.......Smiley Sad

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 50

Oops....sorry imjolly......I was typing as you were posting.......Best I get some more typing lessons........Smiley Happy

0 Ratings