cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 50

Re: Poor speed in peak hours - losing will to live - ongoing technical query lasting a month so far!

LOL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 50

Re: Poor speed in peak hours - losing will to live - ongoing technical query lasting a month so far!

There are no problems with my exchange, BT confirmed this directly with the exchange yesterday and there are no reported problems today either.

I've spoken to a local electrician who says he can re-wire it with a direct line from the telephone pole to my master socket and eliminate the star wiring - seems this will have to be done either way. 

I'll post up my stats later tonight when it stops working, thanks for your continuing assistance folks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 50

Just as a general enquiry - can anyone answer WHY the 'star' wiring setup I have caused no issues with my previous ISP, BE There, and caused no problems with BT for ten days, then suddenly have caused all these problems literally overnight? 

I feel so helpless and trapped given I'm going to HAVE to pay to have my wiring updated when, in reality, I have an inkling BT will discover a problem outside of my house anyway once it's done. The reasonable cost of the sodding BT deal I'm on was the main reason I chose it 😞

Also - @ Shirts - is an interference problem serious and hard to resolve? Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 50

interference problems can cause problems and can need a lot of work to resolve
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 50

Sweet, cheers. My wonderful BT experience continues. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 50

Morning smirge,

Although i'm no expert, I shall try to explain broadband as I understand it. ADSL is basically radio waves going down a wire. Cast your mind back. If you were driving listening to the am radio, you may have noticed when passing under pylons that the radio crackling or buzzing. Unfortunately ANY electrical equipment can cause interference to ADSL. If you can get hold of an am radio, and tune it to 612, by holding it close to a tv, low energy lightbulb, flourescent lamp, router, etc, you will hear the interference. Some items can produce MASSIVE amounts of interference ie plasma tv's, thermostats, old electrical equipment etc. When you consider that some radio hams were able to talk to somebody hundreds of miles away using just a length of copper wire as an aerial, and then realise that it is just a length of copper wire connecting you to the exchange, it's easy to understand how your adsl line can be affected. The extra line from your junction box to your bedroom, which you say is no longer connected to a socket, could easily be acting as one of those aerials......!

With regards to why the problems started after 10 days with BT, it is possible that any interference didn't start till then.......

In order for the people on here to give you helpful advice, they need to start with a good understanding that the connection to your master/test socket is as good as it can be.....

In answer to your question, yes, interference can be a right pain in the proverbial. your line is perfect for days on end, and then your neighbour turns on their central heating and your line drops like a stone. This is what has been happening to me and just for the record, at one point my hub had accumulated over 1,200,000,000 errors before it rebooted.......

The one thing in your favour is that you have found this forum, and with their help, i'm sure that this problem can be sorted........Smiley Happy

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 50

and PLEASE POST YOUR FULL ADSL STATS............Smiley Happy 

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 50

No worries, here they are! Contrary to just about everything I posted yesterday and for the first time in a month, my Broadband didn't slow down last night (I was checking it all evening too)... I wonder if BT have changed something on the quiet or if some other change has taken place without my knowing...

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 19:50:10
Downstream:20.56 Mbps
Upstream:1.113 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):3.5 dB / 6.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):14.5 dB / 7.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.1 dBm / 10.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):2719 / 78
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):148179 / 112
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):525 / 20
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 50

stats look ok for 19hrs connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 50

Agreed. Let's hope this is the start of something, I'll see how things develop tonight... 

0 Ratings