cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 50

Re: Poor speed in peak hours - losing will to live - ongoing technical query lasting a month so far!

getting the forum mods to change your latency to interleaved from fast may help reduce the errors further
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 50

Re: Poor speed in peak hours - losing will to live - ongoing technical query lasting a month so far!

Evening all,

Right, so I left it a couple of nights before proceeding because, as if by magic, my connection suddenly sorted itself out on the evening of the day I started posting in this thread. My connection remained absolutely perfect all through the night, and the following day, and the following night.

Today it behaved just fine until left for a few hours this evening; when I returned, it was the slowest yet; check the following (wired) tests:

bt speed 100713 2059.jpg

bt speed 100713 2248.jpg

I had to restart the router before I was even able to run a successful test, although this time restarting it has barely improved performance (whereas usually it tends to work a little better immediately after). 

Therefore my most recent ADSL stats aren't over a particularly lengthy period, but they are as follows:

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

0 days, 01:54:55

Downstream:

20.02 Mbps

Upstream:

1.121 Mbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.5 Annex A

Latency type:

Fast

Noise margin (Down/Up):

4.8 dB / 6.8 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

14.5 dB / 7.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

19.9 dBm / 10.1 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

0 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up):

355457 / 32

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):

4218732 / 7

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

6831 / 0

I don't know what HEC events are, but over four million in nearly two hours seems like rather a lot.

Regarding my 'star wiring' setup, I did some investigation in the BT junction box in my porch. It turns out that the secondary wire (to a redundant socket upstairs) isn't actually connected any more; instead, the incoming wire from the exchange is attached to the same two clips connecting the wires to my current NTE5, as below;

BT photo8.JPG

I asked a DIY forum for advice and included these photos. They have also all advised I rewire the two BT wires from the faceplate of my current NTE5 to the backplate, as it should be, and I will then have a conventional wiring setup as BT require. They also stated that regarding the above, I should plug the incoming wires from the exchange into the A and B screws but as it seems fragile and old, I'm better off ripping the box out and crimping the exchange's wires with the BT wires to the socket using insulated crimps. 

Please could someone have a look at this evening's stats and see if they can offer any advice? I cancelled BT's engineer appointment for today on the basis that my connection seemed to have sorted itself, but it's now back to square one apparently 😞 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 33 of 50

ALL of the wiring upto your master socket is the property of BT/Openreach. However, you might like to have a look at.......

BT 80B RF3 Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw).

The cables from the exchange (white and orange) go intothe "A" and "B" screw connectors (top right in picture).

The cable to the master socket (blue/white and white/blue) go into the "A" and "B" IDC connectors (bottom left in picture).

The IDC connectors require a special "IDC insertion tool", and a decent one is available ......

IDC Tool , Insertion tool to allow termination to IDC blocks

A new NTE5 master socket is .......

BT Openreach™ (Embossed Version) NTE5 Master Socket

And a new ADSL faceplate is available .....

BT NTE-2000 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 Socket

This would bring your connection upto current standards. ALL hard wired extentions would then be wired off the back of the faceplate. Should you need to connect to the test socket, then this just requires the simple removal of the faceplate. This gives you a direct connection to the exchange.

Hope this helps.......Smiley Wink

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 34 of 50

I would definitely NOT crimp the incoming cable to the cable going to the master socket.

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 50

Hi Shirts,

Thanks very much for your input, that's all really appreciated! 🙂

It seems like you might have pasted in some HTML links that didn't display properly in the thread, is this the case or am I putting two and two together to make five?

Also. The existing BT junction box is VERY old and frail and the IDC connectors in there look like they're about to crumble. I am more than a little wary about yanking the existing wires out of them and trying to insert them again - is there any way I can rid myself of this goddamn box completely so I don't have to worry about it any more? You say IDC crimps are not a good idea?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 50

any wiring before the master socket is Openreach's responsibility and can only be carried out by them
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 50

BT have specifically advised me that if I want to get my own engineer to terminate the cable from the street on a new NTE5 then I'm more than allowed to and more to the point well advised to, as it will be a lot cheaper than getting their engineer to do it.......

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 50

please be cautious as you could breach the terms of your contract it is not BT's network it is Openreach's and should you accidentally cause any damage you may be held liable
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 50

Ok, thank you for the heads up. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 40 of 50

You are right.....!......... It appears my message has been edited. If this is because it went against the rules of this forum, then I humbly apologise......I shall see if I can find photos of said items somewhere.........Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings