cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scooter1888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Poor speed on infinity 1

Loosing the will to live talking to Broadband help, recently switched bak to BT and now I'm asking myself why. Was advised to expect 53/55mb only receiving 34mb. As per attached log as you can see. "Help" are saying all is ok when I know it's not. 

Any help or info appreciated. Thanks for help

Information for Helpdesk agents

When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068343+NQ60808973
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 24/05/16
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 06:17:39
6. Data rate: 9995 / 39100
7. Maximum data rate: 11369 / 39374
8. Noise margin: 6.3 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 26.5 / 20.7
10. Signal attenuation: 26.4 / 19.6
11. Data sent/received: 61.6 MB / 1.2 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: No
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-5CF8
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-5CF8
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: 90:72:82:88:77:a8
24. Modulation: G.993

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Scooter1888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Poor speed on infinity 1

Ps I know I'm connecting at 39 but help cannot grasp this, should be lot higher I take it from exchange to router? From my limited BB knowledge.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

are you connecting direct to the test socket with a new filter

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

it is distance from street cabinet that counts not distance from the exchange

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Scooter1888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Im connected directly to the SSFP openreach socket(top connection)

Runninng wired connection to BTW Performance test i get Down 38.81Mbps, Up 8.12 with a ping of 19.63

thanks thanksadsl.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

from your stats and btspeedtester results you have a 39mb connection speed with a good a download speed so looks ok if on the 40/10mb infinity 1 package - or are you on the new infinity1 55/10mb?  what estimates did you get in BT email when you joned including minimum guaranteed speed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Scooter1888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I was told to expect 53/55mb with a guaranteed 40mb minimum hence the query with Help. They're saying all OK which I know it would be if on 40/10 but I'm expecting more. Partly the reason for switching back to BT.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 16

You are connected at below the guaranteed minimum of 40. If BT say that's not a problem and ignore it then what's the point of them giving the guarantee? Is their argument that you are close to it so that will do?

With things as they stand the HH5 stats line 7 are saying the line is only capable of a max of 39.37. The noise margins are also the nornal ~6dB. It suggests that either there's a line issue or the estimate of 53+ was just plain wrong. BT Consumer will in theory be getting that 53 figure from the BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker VDSL range A low. Have you tried your number in that yourself as suggested earlier?
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 16

Sorry, just noticed you had already posted the results.
Range A low when rounded does indeed match the 53 you were quoted.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 16

"Im connected directly to the SSFP openreach socket(top connection)"

If you have a spare microfilter you could try removing both the front and middle parts of the master socket and connecting the router (via the microfilter) to the test socket inside. See if the HH5 stats are then any different? All other extensions in the home should be dead in that situation as they should all run off the front part of the master socket. Sometimes extension wiring can cause interference.
0 Ratings
Scooter1888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Just tried that, not much change at all, getting 38/8. Suppose I'll have to have another wasted hour on phone to help. Regretting my switch back to BT already.
Thanks all anyway.
0 Ratings