cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Filbeetee
Contributor
Message 1 of 35

Poor speed on new installation, how do I get help??

Posted here a few days ago and also mailed forum moderators asking for comment. No response.

IP Profile on line is 6mb, despite all figures suggesting we should get at least 10mb. Downloads are around 5.5mb.

Have tried all the suggestions from the folks here on the forum, HH plugged direct into microfilter into master / test socket. No other extensions in house.  Really disappointed with the service, would like to know what options I have to get this looked at by competent support, without being expected to pay £90 for an engineer.

Line stateConnected
Connection time1 day, 18:18:21
Downstream7,383 Kbps
Upstream920 Kbps

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)3.4 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)37.5 dB / 19.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up)20.1 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 75
CRC Errors (Down/Up)10694 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 88481
Error Seconds (Local)1

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
5427 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 5427 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :7380 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 920 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 3.67:16.51:79.82 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
739 Kbps

0 Kbps920 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 739 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 920 Kbps
0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Filbeetee
Contributor
Message 2 of 35

Re: Poor speed on new installation, how do I get help??

For what its worth, HH has been on 24/7 for a few days now and now change. No reply from moderators either so i have chased them up.

So far, not impressed with the product or the after sales service! The people on this forum have been more helpful than BT themselves.....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 35

According to your stats you hub has been connected for just over 1 day 18 hours it needs continuous connection to give the speed chance to increase your ip profile and download speeds are ok as is your download speed you need to ensure that no disconnects happen and over the next five days to give the speed time to rise as to the board mods they do get very busy and answer every email in turn so it can sometimes take a while to get a reply  your download speed by the way  is 7.383mb by the way 

Filbeetee
Contributor
Message 4 of 35

Thanks for reply, actually HH been on for 3 days now. Stats as at a few mins ago:

Line stateConnected
Connection time3 days, 2:34:09
Downstream7,383 Kbps
Upstream920 Kbps

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)1.6 dB / 5.7 dB
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 344
CRC Errors (Down/Up)17824 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 90340
Error Seconds (Local)2

I'll take your advice though, and give it 5 days for the IP profile to raise. Still , 7.383 mb on ADSL2 is rather poor and I would have expected nearer 10mb.

I'll post back after 5 days and see where we get to, thanks for help.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 35

Hi Filbeetee,

I have your email here - looking at your stats your IP profile has now gone up to 6000 kbps.

Can you run a speed test and post back your results to see if this is reflecting on your end yet?

I'll reply to your email now as well.

Thanks,

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Filbeetee
Contributor
Message 6 of 35

Stephanie, thanks for reply.

My IP profile has been 6000k since I started posting on this issue, in this and in my earlier thread.

At present the IP profile hasn't gone "up" at all.

My question is whether this is an acceptable profile given the HH stats I have posted, at least one other user has previously suggested I should be getting around 10mb on ADSL2+ given the attenuation and line quality levels.

The BT line checker tool when I looked into the service indicated I should get 11mb.

I'm at work at present and will repost a speed test result later today.

0 Ratings
Filbeetee
Contributor
Message 7 of 35

Posting as requested.

Line stateConnected
Connection time5 days, 1:00:46
Downstream7,383 Kbps
Upstream920 Kbps
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)2.7 dB / 5.8 dB
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 840
CRC Errors (Down/Up)30062 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 94607
Error Seconds (Local)15290

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
5524 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 5524 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :7380 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 920 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 6.2:15.59:78.22 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
751 Kbps

0 Kbps920 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 751 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 920 Kbps

Is this really the best I can expect on this line, given that no issues have been found with line quality and there are no extensions in the house / HH is plugged into master socket?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 35

your speed needs to get to 7392 at least before your profile will rise to 6500.  with your attenuation of 37.5  I agree that about 10mb would be about right on a good line.  However you seem to have done all the suggestions without success.  Hopefully the mods might manage to pick this up and get an improvement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Filbeetee
Contributor
Message 9 of 35

Update - mods have checked the line and said it is performing to its maximum potential and that I can also expect occasional disconnects as the SNR is low. Indeed I had a noise margin of 1.5 late last night then a disconnect, and I reset the modem just now.

Current stats below - can't run a speedtester at the moment but my IP profile is still 6000.

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:19:17
Downstream8,295 Kbps
Upstream890 Kbps

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)3.3 dB / 5.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)38.0 dB / 19.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up)20.5 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)40477 / 2
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 95965
Error Seconds (Local)0

I live within 1.5km of the exchange in a major city, and find it hard to believe that this is something I just need to accept.

The mods here are good - honest polite answers, and at the moment they have offered to raise the issue with "their supplier" to get a definitive answer. Do I assume this is Openreach? I have asked them to raise the issue as if I can't resolve this I will be off to a cable provider.

Also I have gone for a 2Wire 2700 off a certain internet auction site to see if that helps.

0 Ratings
ITtech
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 35

The amount of CRC errors and runtime errored seconds you are accumulating is excessive. This points to a line that is possibly not clean, has a resistance fault, or line imbalance. Because of that the bitloading is poor, and errors are high, all of which decreases throughput. The low SNR is common on 21CN, it's DLM trying to put a solution to the line to get best speed, without dropping the connection, but often it will if the error rate persists. What to do: BTw is the supplier, not BTo, but you need BTo to check the line, quiet line test often does not show up poorer lines, but 21CN will not perform at optimum until the path is fixed. May benefit from a pairs change, BTo will do this. Your point about a BT 2 wire HGV2700 is valid, and will perform better than a home hub, giving a more robust connection even with low SNRm, however the thing to do, is fix the line, or BOTH. Needs escalation from Retail to BTw, to instruct BTo to perform line checks and possible pairs change.
Click the star if my posts have helped.