Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sharcuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Poor speeds after new home hub

Hi,

Last Wednesday I received and installed my new Home Hub 3, to replace my existing Home Hub 2. Since then, the connection has been really erratic.

Does simply swapping out a home hub mean the "relearning" process starts, and the line will not settle down for 10 days or so?

Thanks for any advice,

Chris

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Poor speeds after new home hub

there is no new training period when you replace a router

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sharcuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Thanks, I am connected to the master socket, and have one extension in the house. I am not currently using the test socket. The connection was fine up to last Wednesday, the only thing that has changed is literally disconnecting one hub and connecting the new one. There was no issue with the wiring in the property before last Wednesday so presumably shouldn't be now. I have done the quiet line test, no noticeable noise. Speedtester shows IP profile of 500, and download speed of approximately 440, but only when I am actually able to get on, the majority of the time, the connection is so slow the page just does not load. The hub itself is not resetting constantly, it has been stable at the details show below for nearly 48 hours. the hub is currently showing a downstream connection of 736Kbps and 448Kbps downstream, which is much as it was before I connected the new hub ADSL Settings VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A Latency type: Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up): 4.1 dB / 17.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 59.9 dB / 31.5 dB Output power (Down/Up): 14.6 dBm / 11.9 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 976625 / 398 CRC Events (Down/Up): 198277 / 428 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 HEC Events (Down/Up): 116482 / 459 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 57822 / 4084 My Mac is connected via wireless but this doesn't appear to be the issue, I have an Xbox connected via ethernet which is also unable to connect to Xbox Live on most occasions. Chris
0 Ratings
Sharcuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Sorry, my message above appears to have lost the formatting!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 26

if you maintain a stable connection for 3/5 days then your profile will reset automatically
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

john46 the connection speed is only 736 so profile will not reset as it is correct.  the problem is low connection speed.  I would suggest you try the test socket and see if your connection speed improves.  if not can you try the HH2 again to rule out a faulty hh3

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 26

my error had not noticed the low connection speed
0 Ratings
Sharcuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Thanks for your help, but I think I may have cracked it!

I came across another thread somewhere talking about Macs, Homehubs and ipv6. I've turned off ipv6 (its on by default in Mac OSX Lion) and everything has been stable for nearly 24 hours. 

Fingers crossed, problem solved Smiley Very Happy

Chris

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 26

Your connection speed is still slower than I would hope for with your Attenuation.

What is your master socket, and are you connected to it or are you connected at an extension?

Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 14.30.20.jpg

0 Ratings
Sharcuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Hi, I'm connected to the master socket, and have a broadband accelerator fitted.

Spoke too soon on previous post, connection up and down again now, started at about 6.30, same as last night and the night before.

Trying OpenDNS servers now!

Chris 

0 Ratings