Re: Poor speeds after new home hub

Latest speedtester results

Makes for horrible reading!!

0 Ratings
Sharcuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 26

or it would do if you could see them....

IP profile 500, connection upstream 448, downstream 736, download speed 90Kbps

tested again at 9.15pm, download speed 358, all other figures the same.

Chris

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 26

I know you are using the accelerator but is it possible to connect to the test socket and see if that improves your connection speed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ianneild
Beginner
Message 14 of 26

Open DNS servers shouldnt make ant difference, they just convert a web address to the IP address.
0 Ratings
Sharcuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 26

The connection has stabilised, but I still have a query.

The Ip profile is still showing 500, but my most recent Speedtester shows a download speed of 504. How is it possible for the download to be greater than the profile?

0 Ratings
Gigabit
Contributor
Message 16 of 26

It is a bug with the speedtester, it happens to lots of people.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 26

it shouldn't be - can you post your adsl stats from your router and also btspeedtester results and someone will try and help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Gigabit
Contributor
Message 18 of 26

It's a bug, there are a lot of posts about it on the internet.

0 Ratings
Sharcuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 26

Latest hub stats

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.2 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):59.9 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):14.6 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):8054642 / 4161
CRC Events (Down/Up):1418181 / 3259
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):764594 / 2835
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):176842 / 10130
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 26

Arobertson545,

I actually happened to raise this with my friend from Wholesale and here is a bit of the e-mail I got back from him and im afriad jolly is right

Following your recent e-mail concerning the speed results in the BT Speedtester, I had a look and saw that your speeds weren't being recorded accurately.  We have now made improvements to the Speedtester in order to improve the accuracy of the results recorded, we now believe it to be around 93% accurate of the actual throughput speed and you have demonstrated this because the speed tests recorded have improved from fluctuating results to around 1700 - 1800kbps which for your fixed 2mb service is correct.  As for your question on why sometimes the download speed tester results exceed the profile, we have found in a small number of cases that due to the network capacity and the overheads used in the BRAS profiling that sometimes there will be enough scope for the download speed to achieve 100% of the profile or slightly succeed the profile.  Since the changes have been implemented this is not a fault with the Speedtester.  This is not likely to happen to many customers and to the ones who have seen it, will not likely see it again, due to the nature of the network and individual virtual paths, its pretty much out of our hands.