Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Poor speeds and disconnections.

Hey all.

As I'm tired of phoning BT and getting mixed answers from engineers and the helpdesk I thought I'd try my luck here.

I have been having connection problems for the past 2 months or so. Getting disconnected randomly maybe 20 times a day and poor speeds.

Phoned Bt countless times and usually get an answer telling me that there is a fault on the line  so they arrange for an engineer to come out and take a look. Engineer comes out and sais there doesn't seem to be a problem. Same **bleep** speeds and I phone them again. They tell me there's a fault on my line and send out engineer. And repeat!

Also my ping in games has increased by about 20-30.

I would be ever so grateful if anyone can help me resolve this.

Thank you.

Nathan.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Poor speeds and disconnections.

first thing to do if you want some ideas/help/suggestions is to post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

are you connected to the NTE5 master or test socket or somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Trans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I am connected to the master socket with no extension cables connected.

Speedtest results

Download speedachieved during the test was - 326 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-500 Kbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 8.92:25.88:65.4 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

ADSL stats

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)15.3 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)50.0 dB / 31.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)18.2 dBm / 12.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)11
Loss of Signal (Local)1
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)158 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

you missed the down/up speed figures of your post

are you able to run btspeedtester?

you don't use extension cables but do you have any extension sockets elsewhere in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Trans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Ooops my bad.

Downstream2,496 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

My speed will vary from around this up to 3.8 and as low as 800kbps.

No extension sockets either. Just the one socket in the house which is the master.

Yes I am able to run the Bt speed test. The results from this are in my above post.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

sorry about speedtester bit early yet for brainSmiley Wink

have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should hear nothing  best done with corded phone if possible

with your attenuation and no noise problems you could get about 4.8mb  check here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
  are you still getting the same number of disconnection even after 2 engineers?

0 Ratings
Trans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

No worrys 😛

Just done the quiet line test. Don't have a corded phone I'm afraid, but it was pretty quiet other than a very low fuzzy kinda noise 😕

Oh and I also forgot to mention that after we had the first engineer out our landline stopped working after a few days, as in we couldnt dial out or recieve calls then this was fixed with the next visit.

4.8mb? Dear god I think I would be in heaven with that! lol. I would just love to have my old speed of around 3.8mb back and a nice low ping of 20-30 on UK gaming servers.

Yeah still the same disconnects. Seems to be worst late at night though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

the fuzzy dull noise with a cordless is normal

as you are connected to the master with no other sockets then test socket should make no difference.  I would contact the mods for assistance as I don't see what else you can change to stop the disconnections  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Trans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Ok mate thank you, appreciate the help 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Trans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Ok so my speed has got slightly better and only had I think as far as I've seen, 1 disconnect. Still not as fast as I was getting and my ping still remains high to UK servers.

0 Ratings