Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Poor speeds the evening with Infinity

Hi All

I have 38 meg bt infinity, and until recently I've been very happy with the service and usually got about 30 meg a sec. However, recently it has been painfully slow especially in the evenings.  I normally get around 10-15 meg in the daytime, which although only about 1/3 of what I pay for is just about fine for my needs.   In the evenings, especially at weeknds, I struggle to get 5 meg/sec.  iPlayer is barely watchable.  According to BT speed test, my line has synced at 39.9 meg so line quality shouldn't be the issue.  I've tried all the suggestions on the trouble shooter, including doing a factory reset of my home hub.

Is there anything else I can try, or could it be a line problem?  I notice a lot of BT Home Hub wifi networks in this building so could it be BT selling infinity to more customers than they can handle?

Any advice gratefully received!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Dean235
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Poor speeds the evening with Infinity

You only recieve 10-15mbps in the morning? Clearly there must be something wrong. Either your line can't support it or other reasons. You really need to report this to BT. Your paying for more than what you should.

It may be because of congestion on the FTTC cabinet. Alot of people will use the internet more frequently during those times.

The early hours are more quieter with internet usage as people are going to school or work. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Is it wireless or wired that is causing the problem?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

are you using a wired or wireless connection as your problem sounds like wireless congestion which would explain low speeds try downloading inssider and run it then use it to select sa clear wireless channel also speedtests should only be done with a wired connection
0 Ratings
andos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Thanks all for the guidance.  I've been running the tests over wifi.  I found a few other routers sharing this channel so changed the home hub to channel 4 which no one else is using.  Speed is now 2.9M!  I dug out a lan cable and tried with that and got 4.94, better but still poor.

0 Ratings
andos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Also, my flat is modern so the wiring should be able to take it, indeed I was regularly getting over 30 meg until recently!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Download, install and run inSSider. It will show you the wireless channels and which one your Homehub is on. You want to find the channel with the least congestion, ie. least number of users. Once you have that you need to change your homehub onto that channel.

By using channel 4 you are overlapping with two other channels that are used by wireless routers so you could be actually making things worse. You should look for the least congested channel on either 1,6 or 11 which are the only channels that do not overlap.

See link for insider

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

See link how to change channel on homehub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094

0 Ratings
andos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Sorry I forgot to mention I downloaded inssider as you suggested, it showed a large number of wifi networks in range (about 12) but none using channel 4. My home hub was using channel 1 which was very congested so I changed it to channel 4, no effect on speed though!
0 Ratings
andos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

I've seen other people on the same exchange complaining on this forum so I'm going to assume it is exchange capacity it fault here!  Decided to make a complaint, I won't accept getting less than 10% of the speed I pay for. It was down to 2Mbps last night, couldn't even watch youtube or iplayer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 17

I see someone else has issues and has posted some proof (gasp) here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/f/4281565-packet-loss-saturday-9th.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings