cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: Poor speeds the evening with Infinity

I've run some more tests this evening, speeds varied from 4 to this speed which was the best!  A bit faster, but still much slower.  In the past I've always gotten at least 14Mbps or so even in peak times.InfinitySpeed.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

Even when you get what you call an "normal" speed of 10 - 15 Mbps this is still poor for Infinity and may be an indication of a fault on your line or with your equipment.

Run this checker to see what the estimate is for your line

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
andos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 17

Thanks for the advice and links!  I ran and got the results below, a bit grim as you can see 😕

infinity.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 17

As you have said, pretty grim. Couple of things to try:

Carry out ONE reset of the Openreach modem then run speed test again.

If the results are still bad make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal and run the speed test again. If it improves you will know it is a faulty hub. If no improvement it is either a modem, line or exchange fault.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the Internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username Internet@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings
andos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 17

Thank you, I did try running the speedtest once more connected directly to the modem and no improvement (sorry forgot to save screenshot).  I guess I'll have to wait for BT's dreaded tech support to get back to me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 17

I guess you will have to report a fault. If you have done a direct connection to the modem then that usually means the problem is outwith your control and will lie with either the modem being faulty, the initial install being faulty or a line,exchange problem all of which will require an engineer to investigate.

andos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Yeah will do, thanks for all the help anyway!

0 Ratings