cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthew
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Poplar exchange, bad or just plain overcrowded?

Recently moved to the isle of dogs, nearest exchange is Poplar, and am getting very, very poor internet speeds at night ~0.5Mbps and 0.1Mbps upload anywhere between 7pm-2am. 

Phone line has been checked by BT engineers, they say its fine. Exchange is fine, so where's the problem? Is it going to get any better?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Poplar exchange, bad or just plain overcrowded?

can you post the adsl stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results. Someone may then be able to offer assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
matthew
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the reply, will do that when i get back from work.
0 Ratings
asbo_dog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Poplar&exact=783&plugin=vp

your exchange is in amber status and from memory this exchange is normally red, am just trying to find the extra bit of the url that shows more history to show you how bad bt wholesale treat this exchange

check here for the extra info url as you may pick it up before me 

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,89477.0.html

0 Ratings
asbo_dog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Poplar&exact=783&plugin=vp&etashow=yes&full=1

full history for your exchange here, told you from memory its run in the red and un loved by bt

0 Ratings
matthew
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

I noticed the reporting tool is by plusnet, would the results reported by plus net be related to the performance of bt broadband? Shouldn't it just be the portions leased out to plusnet that plusnet is reporting on? Just a guess, I've no idea how BT works this arrangement out.

I was under the impression that all ISPs in the isle of dogs are equally bad because of the Poplar exchange.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

plusnet is a division of BTSmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
asbo_dog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

the results given by the usertools checker of plusnet is reporting on the virtual paths at the exchanges, if any isp uses bt wholesales network to transport there data from the end user to there gateways then this checker gives you info you need to find if congestion is occurring at the exchange level

am not sure if a ppp drop and reconnect would enable the OP to try and find a less used VP pipe at the poplar exchange that currently is in amber status, i do know that if an isp's gateways have unblanced customers across them then you can do this to find the under used and better performing gateway.

the only other way i know from my experience of being a PN customer is to add max premium to your connection at an extra charge of about £8 a month which gives your connection more priority over the VP pipes and bt wholesales network upto the isp's central pipes(gateway) this only apply's to 20cn connection's and not adsl2+ 21cn connections and max prem also gives you a 834kbps upo sync instead of 448kbps

EDIT.

if your on a 21cn connection the the VP checker does not report on vlan capacity pipes that 21n uses, so is useless if you are on a 21cn connection

0 Ratings
matthew
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Imgur link

Tested at 7:38pm
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 598 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :0 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.
Router stats
ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 22:24:54
Downstream 3,104 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 15.6 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 18.4 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 61778 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 0
poorshowbt.jpg

0 Ratings
matthew
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

it would be nice if i get anywhere close to the 5Mbps I was told my line could achieve.
Also, the third step seems to be instruc

it would be nice if i get anywhere close to the 5Mbps I was told my line could achieve.Also, the third step seems to be instructions for the third step of testing was updated for windows 7

poorshowbt2.jpg

0 Ratings