Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
god2b
Message 1 of 9

Port Forward for NAS drive

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone can help me out, i recently got a synology DS211j NAS drive, i can connect to the NAS over the LAN, but when i try to access for outside my home network i cant connect to it. I have added the ports to redirect to the NAS drive and have even set up a DNS, not sure if i even needed it? I have tried to access by typing my ip address and port into an external computer browser, but nothing is working. 

Also after added the port to open to router i try to test the ports at canyouseeme.org, and i get the message

Error: I could not see your service on (IP Address here) on port (5000)
Reason: Connection timed out

Port.jpg

If anyone has any idea what im doing wrong or how is fix it, please fill me in

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Urizen
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Port Forward for NAS drive

Having almost the same issue with my DS211j and getting it to work outside of the HomeHub3.  Everythings fine internally and can access the login screens via LAN.  Tried putting it in the DMZ via the BTconfig screen but that doesn't appear to do anything either on both IP and DDNS.

Has anyone managed to get this working with the new HH3's ?

0 Ratings
Philk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I wonder whether this is somehow linked to the discussion i posted earlier this afternoon re being unable to remotely access my Home Server to perform Remote Assistance having changed to a HH3 from a HH2 (where everything worked fine).

0 Ratings
MooJuice
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

You could try the following:

1: Try pulling the ethernet at the NAS end, powering the NAS down waiting a minute or so before reconnecting and then powering the NAS back up. Wait another minute or so then see if it works.  Try to connect a few times before moving on to the next suggestion.

2:  Same as above but power the NAS up before reconnecting.

3:  Try the two options above but turn off UPnP first and wait a couple of minutes before proceeding.  If it works, THEN switch UPnP back on Edit: (if you want it).

4:  As #3 but after disconnecting the ethernet cord delete the NAS from Devices in Home Network.

0 Ratings
Urizen
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Tried various combinations today of DDNS on and off on both/either HH3 and DS211j along with the various port forwarding and DMZ non DMZ tries.

Currently resetting the DS211j back to default settings which is likely too take most of the night.

See what will happen tomorrow and I'll give MooJuices suggestion a go 🙂
0 Ratings
Urizen
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Sorry for the late comeback.  Been bust elsewhere.

I've kind of got the system working.  As long as I use an outside source I can view the services that are operating on the HomeHub3.  I'm just unable to view my own services whilst internally from behind the HomeHub.

Reading around this appears to be a similar issue and something to do with 'loopback' I think.  Where I can view my services from an external IP source but unable to view my services whilst attempting to look from within the internal IP source as the HomeHub setup 'denies' this action.

I've begun searching for help with lopback.  unfortunatly I'm getting a little bit of information overload with edit this hosts file, do this etc.

Would someone with homeHub knowledge know what needs to be or at least point me in a great direction the provides a step by step helpful guide to a solution of viewing my own services ?

Many thanks for knowledge given.

0 Ratings
rw18182
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Hi, I have a related question I hope someone can help me with as its really doing my head in.  I have a BT Home Hub 2 router and have attached a Seagate Goflex Home NAS drive.  Everything works fine, the pc detects the NAS on startup and I can access all folders etc,  except my internet keeps going off, especially if I am copy 50+ GB of data to the NAS drive.  I have to then reset the router and all is fine again.  My NAS is set to DHCP (so not static).  I can even access the NAS remotely, but if my internet keeps going off there must be something wrong but I cant work it out since otherwise it is fine.  Does anyone have an idea on what to do, some say its the BT Router firewall but I have no clue really, I have no experience of NAS drives and router settings etc so would need simple "idiot" proof instructions please but I would be extremely grateful for some help.

0 Ratings
MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

"...my internet keeps going off, especially if I am copy 50+ GB of data to the NAS drive."

Presumably you are copying your files over the LAN? Not sure why this would affect your internet connection, or even why your internet connection would affect your local LAN? Unless it results in the router being reset?

0 Ratings
rw18182
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Yes I am copying over the LAN.  I dont understand either why the Internet loses connection, the lights on the front of the router are all still lit so you would not know by looking at the router that there is no connection, however when i reset the router the internet connections comes back (as seen on my PC's).  If I am not copying anything its stays on fine, I can do anything but copy stuff over to it, ther must be something a miss with some settings somewhere......

0 Ratings