cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dankel
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Port Forwarding Issue

Hi I don't know if anyone can help but I have an issue with my BT Broadband and am not getting any support from BT. This is probably my last chance to get some help before leaving BT and moving to another provider.

I sometimes work from home and connect up to my employers network via a VPN. This has worked fine for some time but last week they did a security upgrade and gave us a message to give to our ISP about port forwarding if there was a problem, we were told that our ISP's would be able to re-set home routers to different port settings.

I tried to work from home today, could not connect and so contacted BT, well after speaking to about 3 people and two hours later was told I would have to sign up to a subscription service for any help as I was not a business customer.

I went back to my employer and they told me that other ISPs had just changed the settings remotely as part of their service.

I found some guidance about port forwarding on the BT site but it does not seem to relate to my Home Hub 2 and I could not work out how to do anything.

So it looks like I will have to change service providers if BT do not give any technical support any more, I refuse to pay for a subscription when there is no gaurantee they can help anyway.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Port Forwarding Issue

If you are using your connection for work then you really should consider using a quality third party modem/router.  For example Billion, Fritzbox, Netgear.

The hub 2 is getting old, circa 2010 and has limited configuration abilities.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

Are your IT / security team able to provide details of what change they say is required? There are several types of VPN such as IPSec, L2TP, PPTP, SSTP etc., each of which may have have different port forwarding requirements. 

For anyone, including the ISP, to be able to advise properly on how to configure the hub requires knowledge of the VPN solution.

Regards

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

I dug out a Hub 3 (being the closest I have to a Hub 2) to reacquaint myself with the setup options. It's options are shockingly restricted and the GUI is a dogs dinner, couldn't remember exactly as I never used it other than changing settings to suit me on the off chance I ever had to use it, had my own modem/router already setup when moving back to BT in 2013. A quick look seems to show the only VPN specific option is port clamping.

The best option is to get yourself a proper modem/router then you can forward whatever port you want, a decent router will let you configure your VPN if that's the way your workplace wants to go.

The software at each end will handle the encryption/protocols all you should need to do is forward the specific port /(range) in the router to the destination PC once you apply the settings in the application.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 12

I don't disagree about getting a newer router, but @Dankel will still need to know the VPN solution so as to know which ports to open. The somewhat aged TechNet post Which ports to unblock for VPN traffic to pass-through? provides an example of the ports required for solutions using PPTP, L2TP, SSTP and IKEv2. And the ports are different for each of the different solutions.

I personally use IPSec and SSTP VPNs from home on a regular basis and I don't have any ports forwarded as the 'inbound' port is automatically added as a result of my outbound connection.

Regards

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

Indeed. Forwarding the port should only be necessary if he or his work place want to connect to his PC from an external source. Connections initialised inside his LAN would not require the forwarding (UPnP). Still the hub options are naff but his IT team should be able to give him the proper port number(s) and the software will handle the rest.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

Good discussion. We just have to hope the OP had the 'Email me when someone replies' box checked and we're not talking to ourselves Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

Ha. Been there. Couple of times giving info to a customer only to discover they have gone off to put the kettle on.

Not saying this case is like that the OP undoubtedly has work to attend to.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@smf22 wrote:

Good discussion. We just have to hope the OP had the 'Email me when someone replies' box checked and we're not talking to ourselves Smiley Very Happy

If you use  @Dankel in your post, it sends a message to them, even if they are not subscribed to the thread.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

Thanks Keith. I was aware and hence the reason for doing so.

0 Ratings