cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Port Forwarding issues with HH5?

I have a HH3 (Series A) and was disappointed to find I could not port forward due to the issues with its Firmware.

My contract is about to end and with fibre recently installed locally I was considering Infinity, but now I hear that the HH5 may also have similar Firmware, such that I might subscribe again and then find I cannot open the requisite ports. As a BT Fibre contract costs nearly £800 over 18 months (inc activation, Anytime calls, landline etc) , I really don't want to find my sparkly new router falls at the last hurdle.

There seems to be uncertainty as to whether portforwarding is a universal issue with the HH5, or is it just that some HH5 have Series A Firmware (boo) and some Series B ( Hooray) ?

If the problem is with Version A Firmware, is there an option to request Series B - indeed, do BT recognise this as a "fault", worthy of a router replacement if I am sent a Series A device ?

Failing this I could stick with standard broadband and upgrade from HH3 to HH4 - does the HH4 have similar port forwarding issues ?

Many thanks for any thoughts you might have on this

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Port Forwarding issues with HH5?

I have the homehub 5 type A.

Port forwarding works fine for me.

Its actually the UPnP that is dodgy.

While it works fine with the ps3 and xbox360, it doesnt work properly with xbox one. Which is how i know port forwarding works as ive hat you use it to open the NAT in COD.

The home hub 4 has the same problems as the 5.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi - many thanks for speedy reply.
I am far from being a techie ( I got the Port Forwarding on my old HH2 to work by following YouTube videos, not by skill unfortunately) . Is there a way to overcome the UPnP issue (whatever that may be). I may be able to bring in a techie friend (former work IT manager) if it likely to beyond a numpty to understand.

Thanks again
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The UPnP issue with the xbox one can be temporarily overcome by running a multplayer test then pressing both triggers and bumper buttons at the same time to bring up the detailed networking screen. Then pressing A.

Although if you are playing COD Ghosts on xbox one you need to port forward port 3075.

Xbox 360 and ps3 work fine without having to do anything.

Not sure about other devices that the home hub has problems with.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I have the HH5 also, at first i wasn`t too confident about port forwarding on this device either, but with a little time and configuration it works. I can now eventually forward any port i need unrestricted using it for various devices... xbox one/Nas-Server. Took a little time but works a treat now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Hi kayster how did you do this? I have HH5 also
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Hi Keith thanks for the helpful link managed to sort it in the end had to open up 2 ports got help from a good friend also.

i think i also need dynamic dns also
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

I am pleased you have it sorted Smiley Happy

I use DynDNS as my dynamic DNS provider. There is a small yearly fee, but you get a free trial if you are not sure.

0 Ratings