cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 24

Re: Port forwarding only works for BT customers..

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
CyberKiller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 24

I too am having the exact same problem Slinkton described, the homehub 3 reports an external ip address of 100.64.81.xxx where as whatsmyip reports an ip of 81.155.5.xxx. (last 3 digits removed for security reasons)

I moved from BT ADSL2+ to BT infinity 2 days ago and have been unable to receive inbound connections since then so I too am wondering if BT is using the CG-NAT thing in my area.

I have also tried running it with the computer (all firewalls disabled too) wired straight into the VDSL2 modem as a PPPoE connection bypassing the hub alltogether and am still unable to recieve inbound connections.

(Oddly the upload speed increases from 9mbs to 17mb without the hub but that's a whole other issue..)

0 Ratings
ukSamo
Beginner
Message 13 of 24

Thankfully I'm not alone with this issue then, I too have exactly the same problem, a 100.65.x.x WAN address reported by the router and sites seeing 81.155.x.x.  I first noticed the problem yesterday afternoon and came to the same conclusion that it looks like BT are for some reason routing my connection through some carrier grade NAT!!!  It's causing me a real headache, for a start none of my home servers are now accessible via the web, remote access to my PC is also blocked, and XBox Live requires NAT to be open to work correctly so has reduced multiplayer ability.

Overall I'm not impressed, I can't find anything on BT's site or Google referring to this, just the news regarding PlusNet going to this route due to running out of IP addresses.

If BT have decided to roll out this solution I really hope that they realise the issues it'll cause their customers, I read a few ignorant articles from PlusNet stating that in most cases the end users wouldn't even know as very few people setup home servers or use P2.  What they failed to mention was that most games consoles setup local servers to host their online games, not to mention PC game players!  

If it's not fixed soon I'll be saying bye bye to BT very shortly, unlimited internet is meant to be just that, unlimited and not only one way traffic! 

0 Ratings
ukSamo
Beginner
Message 14 of 24

Well, I'm not having much luck, so far I emailed BT a couple of days ago and have had no reply.  I've just finished on the phone to them and they've had a look and confirmed the problems because I'm now on a "dynamic server" which helps "improve my security by not revealing my actual IP address", that would be all well and good if I choose to be put on that server but I didn't and it's skewing up my Xbox live and remote connectivity.  Apparently the only way I can get off of the dynamic server is to switch to a business account, wonderful!!!!  I've found another way, switch to another provider, thanks BT!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

The issue is being investigated, and any update will be posted on this thread.

0 Ratings
ukSamo
Beginner
Message 16 of 24

Thanks Keith, I'll look forward to your findings.

If it's any consequence I just got a mail back from the support e-mail request I submitted via the main BT website, I don't think they understood my issue stating "From your email we understand that you are facing problem with Home Networking", I'll re-open the request with further detail.  Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 24

Its not me that is looking into the problem, its one of the BT Care Team moderators Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 24

Hmmm I noticed this on my connection a while ago and thought it was just because I had unlocked the modem. Seems it may be something else.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 19 of 24

Hi Guys,

We’ve had a small number of contacts from contributors/viewers of this thread and we’ve resolved the reported issue by opting the customer out of CGNAT, we thought it would be useful to share the following info around CGNET and why it’s being used

The number of IPv4 internet address worldwide is running out, meaning that all ISPs must come up with a solution to keep new fixed broadband customers connected until IPv6 addresses become widely adopted.

BT is introducing a technology called Carrier Grade Nat (CGNAT) to help address this issue, which means that certain customers will share an IP address with up to nine other customers. This is the same as the standard practice for mobile broadband connections, using smartphones and tablets today.

We have decided that we will pilot this new technology with our Option 1 Total Broadband customers who on average use the internet least. We believe they are the least likely group of customers to experience any issues or disruptions due to CGNAT, which can interfere with complex online activities like hosting servers at home. We do not think these customers will notice any difference at all in their broadband performance, but if any of these customers did have any resulting issues, we would be happy to restore their connection to an individual IP address.

BT is also working to introduce IPv6 internet addresses during 2013, but customers will need both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for the foreseeable future.

Cheers

Sean

ukSamo
Beginner
Message 20 of 24

Thank you for your reply Sean, at least we don't think we're all going mad and you've confirmed that we were dealing with a CGN setup.

A few issues though that I think are worth highlighting:

1) My wife has even mentioned that general web browsing performance has decreased since this was implemented, specifically we've both seen on our iPad's and Desktop PC that some web pages spontaniously fail to load, some result in just a white page being returned and others get a site not accessible type error message.  This is happing on something like 1/30 to 1/40 page loads, so not an occasional thing!

2) It would have been nice to be informed that we were being switched to this solution.  I wasted a good half a day investigating this and others on the forum sound like they've spent even longer even swapping out hardware thinking it was a local fault.

3) Customer service are obviously not aware of this, they told me that the only fix was to roll me on to a business broadband package with a static IP!

4) You say that the majority of customers would be unaffected, with such a large customer base I wonder how fine the line is between majority and minority.  All sorts of services require direct IP communication, from Games Consoles, Spotify, Apple Facetime, any P2P software, to Remote Support tools when helping out relatives etc.

5) You also mention that you've focused this on low use Option 1 customers, I use an average of over 100Gb per month according to my account screen!!  I can only guess I was a guinipig because I'm on company broadband working for a subcompany of BT Group, nothing to do with the broadband side of the business.

Unfortantely after a week of hassle I paid for a transfer out of BT yesterday, my new broadband supplied will give me a static IP, no traffic shaping, so hopefully none of these problems, so 1 customer lost already, I wonder how many more you'll loose.  I think my biggest issue was the lack of communication from BT, and until now no simple way of reverting back to my web facing IP address, very frustrating!

Thanks,

Samo

0 Ratings