cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Possibility to have line moved to new FTTC cabinet closer to home?

My current cabinet is about 700 metres from my home. Tonight, I notice a new FTTC cabinet has been installed just around the corner from me at no more than 400 metres. Its also virtually line of sight of the exchange.

When I was on adsl, I was told my line length to my existing cabinet pre FTTC go live, was nearly 5km from the exchange. In reality, this cabinet is actual 1.7km from the exchange so clearly, the line goes all round the houses to go from exchange to cabinet.

The new cabinet is just over 1 km from the exchange so one would presume (dangerous, I know) the lines would be more direct. I know the line length from exchange to cabinet doesnt really matter but surely, a reduction from 5km line length to just over 1 km must have some advantages?

Anyhow, what would be the possibility of BT \ Openreach moving my line to the nearer cabinet? This should surely see my current speed of 53mb increase to 60mb or more?

How do you request your line to be moved to the new cabinet before all connections are taken?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Possibility to have line moved to new FTTC cabinet closer to home?

they wont do it mate not at all

dside cable go to pcps not able to turn pairs to new cab

and to be honest all the cost time to get you 5/8mbps more aint worth cost or time to be honest

i know i wouldnt do it

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

With FTTC, the distance from the cabinet to the exchange is pretty much irrelevant.  The signal travels at the speed of light, and always delivers the speed that the fibre is rated for.

The odds of Openreach moving you to another cabinet are pretty much nil.  It's a lot of work for them, for no gain.  The only possibility is if you paid the full cost of their re-wire, which could amount to thousands of pounds.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Thanks both.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Except if you order another line, as my mate has done for his business as home, his new business Infinity line is connected to a different cabinet than his home Infinity line. New line gets 80Mb/20Mb compared to original line variable of only 36Mb/5Mb. Both feed into a Draytek 2850 router to be shared with home and business network.

He needed the new line (obviously a business line being used for working from home) to get the superior up speed for use of remote desktop into the numerous servers he manages/configures/setsup as part of his business.

Also had a line fault, (water in duct ?) and as business line was fixed same day.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

FTTC cabinets are not stand alone, they are paired with an old style cabinet.  Is this new one near your old cabinet or near another old one?

0 Ratings