cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Possible Damaged Phone Line?

Hello

here is the setup i currently have - BTOpenreach type master socket - and a "speed enhancing faceplate (Looks) like this - Speed enhancing faceplate ( LIKE) THIS - the one i have fitted looks just like this but is a deffinate speed enhancing plate -

Before faceplate was fitted - Downstream speed with standard faceplate - 2204kbps - AFTER faceplate was fitted,3376kbps downstream and the noise margin was alot more accurate as with standard faceplate fitted was -1 db on downstream - SPEED plate fitted - 1db on downstream with alot faster speeds.- by the way - the wiring on the mastersocket of the "BTOpenreach" type are 4-6 wires 4 of which have the plastic ends on - 2 in 1 and then another plastic end on another 2 wires.. - just fitted the faceplate and improved the speed over 1meg - i know the face plate isnt the issue here  as it has been fitted for over 6 months with not a single problem...

The problem i can now say is:

about 2 week ago a neighbour about 3 doors away was painting the front of his house and decided to remove the "phone line" from the front of his house.. and to put the phone line back on to the front of his house neatly decided to quite litteraly"pull hard" on the line - i live with the telegraph pole right outside my house - and we live in a cul de sac with no more than 10 or 15 houses.. when he pulled his line - everyone's in our street began to jump around and wobble around.. ever since then our connection speed has been knocked back and have been getting "disconnected" - usually when it rains..

I have phoned the quite line with an ever so slight whispering crackle in the back ground..

OUR ISP is AOL on the (8 meg) package Router (DG834G) Netgear

current downstream after line was (Potentially damaged) -3104kbps - but varies on router reboots- Downstream 12db.

I know we are not on the FUP with AOL as the speed varies (usually getting slower resulting in a higher db on the downstream) and happened pretty much instantly when the person involved pulled his line.

So could i be right in saying "yes this is certainly a damaged line" - if so.. how much  (rough figure) could this cost to put right?

My mother currently works from home.. the last thing we need right now is some "idiot" pulling on his phone line and messing up our phone line and damaging our phone line resulting in us being left with slow internet speeds OR no internet at all..

anyone help please

Thanks in advance

Rob

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: Possible Damaged Phone Line?

Post your router stats, 15db above considered high by bt, just for reference mine is constant 15 and im very near my sync speed. have you tried removing the faceplate and connecting to the master.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
dodgy368
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Yep, sounds like your neighbour has damaged your line, phone bt and report noise on the line, when the engineer turns up tell him what happened.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

my current stats - 12db - then 10-then 12-then 14-15 then back to 12.. but heres the current.. - the sync im sure is done automatically as im 99% sure that ip profiling was instant when i fitted the face plate as the stats changed as soon as i fitted the face plate a while ago

"Post your router stats, 15db above considered high by bt, just for reference mine is constant 15 and im very near my sync speed. have you tried removing the faceplate and connecting to the master." yes i have - noisier line,alot slower downstream

System Up Time 01:10:43
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoE2930541305016071089601:09:21
LAN10M/100M4269932824010980190401:10:39
WLAN11M/54M0000001:10:28

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed3072 kbps448 kbps
Line Attenuation55 db15.5 db
Noise Margin10 db

22 db

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 24

Try this link it will give a good idea of what speed-http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php, also try not reboot the router you will decrease the speed even more, just make sure you have done all you can at home, master socket test, any electrical interfearence near your router, Open reach will almost cetain want access to your set up, if they find a fault with the set up they will charge.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

just been on kitz doing that very same test Smiley Very Happy

downstream line attenuation : 55DB - Approx line length - 4km -ADSL speed approx - 3000kbps

ive tried all i can with no improvements.. just gradually getting slower and slower and getting noisier,quieter,then noisier and so on..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

if you think your phone is not working correctly (noise, crackling, hissing) then try the quiet line test by dialing 17070 and then option 2 - you should hear nothing!  If there is a problem report the phone fault to BT.  However if it's a broadband fault (phone line is quiet) then you need to report it to your ISP - AOL who will contract BT openreach to try a fix it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

already done that - is a very slight background crackle - its only started happening since this person began messing around with his phone line - making everyone else's in the street jump around too..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

then report a line fault to BT and say nothing about broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dodgy368
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Rob, plug an analogue(not digital) phone into the bt test socket(behind the lower section of the master socket) and try a quiet line test, if you hear ANY type of noise ring bt and report it, the repair will be free.

0 Ratings