cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunmalhotra
Beginner
Message 161 of 752

Re: Possible Scam?

Had a call from a call center in India. I was told by this person that he was calling from BT and that my broadband was showing errors and that he was going help me to check the line. He asked me to open BT page on computer. Then he asked me to close the page and asked me what keys I had next to my ctrl key. He then realsied I was on a Mac laptop. So he asked me to open a windows computer. This started to look very suspecious. I had switched on my windows pc and apparently he could read my computer number. I asked him what was my name and address to confirm if he was actually from BT. Which he was unable to do. At that moment I asked him to get off the line and that I would contact BT myself. I came on here and realised this kind of criminal activity has been on for some time.

0 Ratings
db21
Beginner
Message 162 of 752

Summalhotra,

I've just now had the exact same experience, including them asking me to find the CTRL key and describe what was next to it.

I told her the only errors I had been experiencing were DNS errors. She didn't understand what DNS stood for. I then told her I'm an IT professional and probably already know how to do whatever it is she's asking me to do. She then hung up!

My provider isn't BT Openreach, but one of the many broadband companies who make use of the BT hardware to provide a service. This means the sharing of customer data is even wider than just Openreach customers. I'm guessing because BT do the provisioning they may only have details like a list of active phone lines - most personal details should be retained by your actual ISP.

We need to let other people know who have other service providers that they should immediately ask the callers to use their name (or account name or number etc) and throw a couple of technical questions their way. 

I'm going to be following this up with BT, my own ISP, the Information Commissioner's Office and possibly my MP (who may be able to communicate this issue to a wider audidence). I suggest everyone else affected does the same.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 163 of 752

The public are not Openreach's customers they are the supplier to service providers (ISP) and only the service providers have the account information of their own customers by the way it is just Openreach (A BT Group company ) not BT Openreach
0 Ratings
ACL1982
Beginner
Message 164 of 752

Re: New India Phone Scam

We have had 3 calls within the last 7 days, he last one from someone who called himself Damian Maya.

This is becoming such a nuisance.

0 Ratings
helenandre
Beginner
Message 165 of 752

Just had a call asking if I was mrs Andreey, yes I am just not pronounced like that! Caller introduces himself as - I am calling from the IT department of BT your internet provider and there is a problem with your account, can you please go to your computer now. The very Indian sounding accent coupled with the fact that I'm the account holders wife not the account holder and the very noisy background made me think this cant be BT. They wont talk to me when I phone without speaking to the account holder and this guy was happy to speak to me without even asking. I said I didnt believe he was calling from BT and without another word he hung up. This call followed 2 previous calls moments before where I could see it was international and also a phone number that started 02 making it look like a UK number so potentially they are also manipulating the caller display. Both previous calls were silent and hung up. The caller display on the call that did connect prefix was 0191 but before that flashed up it briefly said international when it started to ring

0 Ratings
Markh701
Beginner
Message 166 of 752

Third call from an Indian call centre telling me I have a problem with my BT router. Told him to get lost. Tel number was 001441 257485000. Irony is we have rubbish broadband where we are in the sticks which is down to poor BT service.

0 Ratings
ZacharyRushforth
Beginner
Message 167 of 752

We have had three calls today. Claiming problem with router. We just put the phone down. It's a pain.
0 Ratings
lioness
Contributor
Message 168 of 752

Second call from "BT" in 2 days.  Indian voice.  1471 gave me this number 0161-429-0846

My husband was almost taken in by it, but he sensibly asked what number they were calling from and they hung up.  The reason he was confused is that had a slight problem with the internet because of a storm.  This person said we were having trouble with our internet connection.

Same number rang again today.  Indian voice.  I asked for her telephone number.  She hung up.

0 Ratings
atkinpaul
Beginner
Message 169 of 752

I had a call this morning saying my internet was slow because i have a virus . asked me to switch on the computor so she could take control. so i just put the phone down on her.

Two hours later i had another call saying they were from BT and asked if i get many nuisance calls i was just about to say yes from people like you when i thought i would just listen to see what he was going to ask. He said i need to give him my bank card details just to confirm it was me he was talking to. so i told him to ---- of. Whats worrying is if someone doesnt understand whats happening and they give them all there details. Would be nice to know if anyone else as had the same phone call

0 Ratings
JintyW
Beginner
Message 170 of 752

Hi, Lady from Indian call centre just called to say she was from BT, I asked to repeat which company and she confirmed it was 'British Telecom'. She said my computer has been hacked over the last few days, so could I please switch on my computer and she would then tell me what to do. I hung up ! Almost thought it was real as she claimed from BT but the very thick Indian accent and the call centre chatter in the background gave it away .
0 Ratings