cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dawesm
Beginner
Message 221 of 752

Re: Possible Scam?

Hi I have started working from home over the past 12 months. Recently I have been getting calls off a chap with an Asian accent called John, Peter, David lol. He also told me of the problems I have been having with my router and computer. At first, I was a little concerned and went along with things but when he wanted to download a program so he could get on my computer to remove the virus it was a step too far. Since then I've had a variety of people calling. Today’s caller was from Windows about activity on my emails. I told him to hang on a minute and went to the shops, funny but he has not called back, maybe he fixed it without hacking my laptop My issue is that if this was my mother these scum could get away with it. NUMBER 004915770394901
0 Ratings
IanBJ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 222 of 752

Yes definitely a scam. I've had same situation today. Called this morning claiming from BT and that my router/PC was causing a problem with their servers. Rubbish. I challenged him and hung up.

Then he callled again this afternoon. Again I challenged him - more rudely and curtly this time, then hung up. He called back and said "If I keep calling, what are you going to do about it?" I hung up - he callled again! I hung up and opened a dialing call (to no-one). He gave up.

Clearly a con - and claiming to be BT !   About time the Telecoms industry got on top of this problem. It's not that difficult to do! I used to work in IT so know it can be done with some determination.

0 Ratings
carolrose
Beginner
Message 223 of 752

Just taken a call from an Indian lady saying she was calling from BT with regard to my internet connection.   Given that I don't have internet on the line she called on I was a bit skeptical.  She said the line was infected at which point I made it clear what I thought of the call and she hung up.

Call was from 006073198015 so BT if there is anything you can do to track this down then please do so, they need to be stopped.

We are about to do away withour landline, that is the only way you can stop these types of calls, a mobile allows you to filter and barr calls so much easily and without a charge.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 224 of 752

you can do the same with BT for free set up callprotect
0 Ratings
pat88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 225 of 752

Just had one of these this morning. An Indian-sounding man with poor English said he was calling from BT Openreach . According to him, our internet connection was flagging up some problems on their servers. I asked why, if he was calling from BT Openreach, he was using a Withheld Private Number. There was no answer to that -- the just man insisted that they were the service providers and there was a problem. I said ‘rubbish’ and ended the call.
It is not feasible to block all withheld number calls because these can come from legitimate sources (eg. hospital, GP, etc.) . So many spam calls arefrom withheld numbers which means that they don’t get reported to TPS and so continue being a nuisance . I wish BT could be more proactive in stopping private numbers being use for commercial purposes and especially calls rerouted from abroad.

0 Ratings
dadbooth1957
Beginner
Message 226 of 752

Hi All

Please beware we have had numerous calls from a Indian call centre claiming to be BT Openreach and asking us to log on to our computer or tablet and input a serial number they give you ,telling you your broadband password has been compimised .

These people dont give up ,up to four or five times a day

BT what are you doing to stop this ,These are truely nuisense calls and are  REALLY ANNOYING please do something about them

0 Ratings
Elvisxxx
Beginner
Message 227 of 752

I took a call from Bt open reach Friday they said that they were doing work on our exchange and discovered there was something wrong with my internet they asked me to put my computer on and told me to see by pressing a few settings they asked me min speed and max speed then they said that the lines should be blue instead of red then they asked me to click on this site that they took me to but I said at this point that I was not going any further and was going to phone Bt open reach first they said they would give me the number but I fibbed and said I had it so I put the phone down and looked for number but there was so much wait to get to talk to someone I gave up but the same folk kept phoning me back but did not answer so don't know if this was a scam or not
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 228 of 752

Its a variation of the same scam.

0 Ratings
Elvisxxx
Beginner
Message 229 of 752