Beginner
Message 501 of 752

Re: Possible Scam?

Thought so Andy, thanks for confirming it
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 502 of 752

Yes - I've had the same, twice this week - it is a scam. The BT information page for scams is:

BT Scams Page

0 Ratings
Message 503 of 752

It just happened to me. I disconnected her and blocked the number and she then called back from a US number. I answered again and she tried to pursue the 'problem'. I told her I did not have a problem and that she was the problem, I also asked her if she was a scammer. She eventually put the phone down on me. 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 504 of 752

I now always reply, "Yes you have reached BT/microsoft/virgin/hmri (whatever they pretend to be) fraud department". It is almost as quick as putting the phone down as they go away instantly.

0 Ratings
Message 505 of 752

Re: New India Phone Scam

I just received a very similar call from an Asian lady, (maybe Indian), claiming to be from BT, same as below stating there were issues on my line affecting my speed and service.

I told them the speed was fine but she was very aggressive and interuptive when i tried to speak. I was already convince this was a scam but tried to get more info from her. I asked her where she was calling from and she said from a London office of BT, but the line was terrible and there was a lot of back ground noise so clearly a call centre of sometype.

She asked me to get in front of my computer and at that point I was even more convinced so I challenged her and asked her why they had not send any comms via email to the account holder (my wife) or contacted her mobile as that is the primary contact number on the account, so why was she ringing the home line which is not listed on the account anyhow. She said they had no response to the email so I asked her to tell me the email address they had on record that it was sent to. At that point she told me to hang on and then she hung up the call before I could have any more fun with her or get any more useful info.

I imagine had I continuted it would have been the same as below with them wanting to open a web conference in which case I would really have taken her to task !

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 506 of 752

There are some very amateur crooks about, I had a call pretending to be from the police at Visa headquarters. I asked which Visa card and he said "yours".

He was such an amateur that he had not blocked his phone number, although probably a disposable mobile, to check I put my phone on withheld and phoned the number and he answered.

At least the real police have his mobile number now although whether they will do anything is another matter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 507 of 752

@Chappers78wrote:
I asked her where she was calling from and she said from a London office of BT, but the line was terrible and there was a lot of back ground noise so clearly a call centre of sometype.

These criminals typically play a tape of a busy office - they might be in a small room with just one or two in it. So it's not a call centre.

0 Ratings
Message 508 of 752

This morning they rung our company saying there is a potential internet fraud violation.

They asked me to press control on the keyboard, when I said I am on a mac they put me to their supervisor, then I asked to describe the issue which he repeated, then asked how do I know you are from BT, he said because I can tell you the router you are using is a BT Hub one, I said no, then he said, what is it then? I said I won't tell you are you serious? then he put the phone down, idiots!

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 509 of 752

My wife has received a number of these emails that look plausible until you read about failure to login leading to suspension. The other point is that the BT account is in my name not my wife's.

BT Scam 24.08.18.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 510 of 752

Hi @Judesman that's definitely a scam email that BT security are aware of. Don't click any links and if possible forward it on to phishing@bt.com

0 Ratings