cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 621 of 752

Re: Possible Scam?

I was scammed on Saturday. They called me from what seemed like an Indian call centre. Heard another man and a lady in the background obviously talking to other potential victims. They accessed my computer using Supremo, Anyplace Control and TeamViewer programmes which I stupidly helped them to put onto my own PC. They said that they owed me £205 refund as the router needed to be replaced and the broadband speed was very slow for what I was paying. He got quite aggressive when I wouldn't type in my bank details on a BT Compensation Form (which they had put on the screen infront of me - I was very hesistant because the typeface was exactly as my bank login apart from the words BT Compensation Form added in at the top, and I said it was best if they just put any monies owned into my account directly which they had already as I paid by direct debit). When his tone changed I knew BT would never speak in this manner to any of their customers so I just hung up. But he continued to communicate with me on  paintpad on my PC "Madam, where are you?!!!!!!!! Please give me your mobile number so I can call you directly!!!!!! The refund form will not be valid after 15 minutes!!!!!" Obviously, I got freaked at this point and pulled all the wiring out of the PC and internet. So scary that these people invade our privacy at such lengths. I just can't get over how stupid I was to even engage with them. After looking online, this scam is years old. It has certainly taught me a lesson.

0 Ratings
Message 622 of 752

Had 2 calls from this number in the past 2 days - a woman with an indian accent saying she was from the Telephone Preference Service and my agreement had expired.  Yesterday I just put the phone down but today, being as they called at 7.05 am I told them to do one and not call me again!

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 623 of 752

I fancied a bit of "fun" today when I received another call from BT Openreach. A guy called Sam called (Indian accent with lots of others taking in the background). He said he can help increase my interent speed.  I asked which number he called from (0800 023 2023). . I was very polite, played 'dumb' and asked lots of questions to take up a lot of his time. After taking a lot of his time in getting to spell the name of the web site he wanted me to go to because I was so sorry that I could not understand his accent  and it was a bad line I eventually 'managed' to write it down (SPEEDTEST.NET). Lots of time taken getting me to get that website up on my laptop and when I told him OK I was there (which I wasn't) he started to ask me to let him do .... I calmly told him that the whole converstaion jad bene recorded and his number and location was being tarced. He was shocked to say the least.  I changed from being Mr dumb nice guy to Mr very angry ' do you think I am stupid you crook.  I managed about 15 seconds of my tirade about him being a thief and criminal etc before he told me to F**k off and hung up. BTW my 1471 came up with 01926515609 but 1471 gave a dead line.  Did my "fun" achieve anything ? I don't know. But for sure it took up a part of his day and helped stop him finding someone else he could rip off. I think I will do the same again but take a veeeery long time to get to the website he wanted me to go to.  Ho Hum. Time for a cup of tea.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 624 of 752

That site is OK it is owned by Ziff Davis however no doubt whatever speed it returned he would have tried to convince you that he could improve it.

0 Ratings
Message 625 of 752

Had 3 today, they are trying hard
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 626 of 752

Received one a few minutes ago from a man with an Indian accent apparantly called "Austin". Wouldn't give me a number to ring back, said it was a computer call! Wanted me to press the windows button + R. I immedaitely became suspicious and ended the call right there.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 627 of 752

Two of the automated BT Tech Department your internet will be terminated today press 2 for engineer scam today so far.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 628 of 752

Just had another from "Thomas Ashcroft", a few seconds after giving his name, he hung up!

0 Ratings
Message 629 of 752

Re: New India Phone Scam

I had a very similar encounter this morning with an Indian dude, telling me how he was calling from BT and he's here to give an upgrade to mine broadband. I doubted him straight away. He tried to get me to download "teamviewer" which would have given him control of my laptop. I hanged up, then he tried to call me back again... blocked that caller ID

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 630 of 752

Re: New India Phone Scam

After having about 20 scam calls from foreign speaking folk reckoning they were from BT I had one today from Talk Talk, obviously I hung up but it made a change 😉

0 Ratings