cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
purplicious72
Beginner
Message 131 of 753

Re: Possible Scam?

I have been rang several times by either an Indian man or woman. They asking the something, but mention they are ringing on behalf off Talk Talk. I can only guess they got this because I used to be with them 4 months ago, and got rid, with how useless they are. Also funny enough their company is in India. Just everytime they ring up, say their name, and they are from Talk Talk, I turn around and tell them I'm no longer with Talk Talk. As soon as I've said it, the phone will get put down. Any company that rings up, will as for private information, like name off the account hold, and the rest. I've found not once have they asked. I would purposely give them wrong information if I wasn't sure, cause any understanding representative knows mistakes do happen if you slip up. These people really don't know how to conduct their phone calls. I am getting calls several times off a day, and I just wish they would clear off.
0 Ratings
purplicious72
Beginner
Message 132 of 753

A few times I've listened to them go on with themselves, and when been asked could I go and sit in front off a computer, I've turned around and said no, I couldnt be bothered. It is true, a tech department won't ring you up on the off chance, since you will find if you have an ongoing tech fault, it would let you know, when you tried to ring them, or on their site. I guess if it was a personal matter, for example on your phoneline, only again you would be able to go on your smartphone, and talk to someone online, there.
0 Ratings
Sherlock
Beginner
Message 133 of 753

I have received 4 calls in the last 24hours from a Asian man.    The 1st was yesterday, I answered and he claimed to be from BT wanting to checked my Wi fi router, I maintained that I didn't have a router but he kept saying BT wi fi router, eventually he hung up.     Today he left 2 voice mails on my answer machine, shouting where are you, are you there, I could hear voices in the background speaking in there national language.   He rang again but didn't leave a message, the number is 

001 197095 2922.

I am concerned that who ever is behind this scam are getting brazen and someone is going to be taken in by this, the consequences are huge.

something needs to be done.

0 Ratings
Message 134 of 753

Hi Folks,   I have 3 mobiles on my account. Yesterday one of them received a call , an Indian chap?, asking for me by name and saying he had my passport and that I needed to phone him back to retrieve it. Of course we didnt phone back but how did they get my name and 1 of my phone account numbers????  - Cheers. PS, I think the scam here is that if you call back the cost would be astronomical. And of course I havent lost my Passport.

0 Ratings
Ninja650
Beginner
Message 135 of 753

I have just had a call from "BT Technical Department" - an Asian gentleman telling me I havea problem with my internet connection - the worrying thing is he had address details - I asked what City I lived in & he was obviously at a loss so I said totally wrong & hung up. I am always very careful online, run regular virus scans, check firewall etc all up to date & use Malwarebytes & Spybot with great regularity. I am now totally worried 

0 Ratings
eatong
Beginner
Message 136 of 753

Just had a call from this number 001958 185048 said he was eng: from by there a fault on my router they will need to replace it within 48hrs after which we talk about all sort but when I ask him send new router first he rung off I wonder why
0 Ratings
penwaun
Beginner
Message 137 of 753

I have received 2 calls today claiming to be from BT, they both said that I have a problem with my router and have been sending 100's of emails to other users. They then go on to say that they are sending me a new router and will receive it tomorrow but in the meantime I need to go on to my computer so that they can make some checks, at this stage I told them were to go and the phone was disconnected. the phone numbers were 001997399452 and 0011942318434.

Beaware they are trying to get you to give them control of your PC.

0 Ratings
adnil
Beginner
Message 138 of 753

Had an international call from BT Open Reach (allegedly) today about our line speed problems (which we are still having after a few calls to BT a month or so ago, but havent had time to call back and spend hours on the chat/phone again).

Asked me to do speed test, which I did happily as I know the wholesale speedtest link and as usual speed was poor.

Passed to colleague in another team who asked me, rather unprofessionally how the call with the previous agent went.  This raised alarms bells.  I was updated on speed problems in my area and asked to go to www.teamviewer.........  said not happy with clicking on any link I dont know.

Asked them to tell me my name, address, and BT account number.  They gave me my name, address, postcode and said they couldnt give me my BT account number over the phone.  I insisted and they started to get a bit irritated.

They gave me the last 4 digits of my account number which were incorrect.  Told them this and they insisted it was correct from their records.  Asked them to give me a number to call back on and a name so I could check their identify with BT before proceeding (I was going to go on BT online chat) and they refused again insisting again and again there were problems in the area and just wanted to help me.

Categorically told them I was not clicking on any internet site from a cold call, got called a mother f****r (think Ive done well to reach the grand old age of 40+ without being called that before!!) and a few other pleasant names, then they hung up.

I am assuming it wasnt an offical BT call with an agent having a bad day 😉

0 Ratings
vhdsl_user
Contributor
Message 139 of 753

Well done. Yes definitely a scam but interesting how it has coincided with genuine BT helpdesk (or non-helpdesk !!) calls - makes you wonder about BT customer data leaking to people who shouldn't have access to it !!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 140 of 753

the best clue it was a scam is Openreach would not phone you are they are not customer facing as they only deal with service providers
0 Ratings