cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hjc27
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Possible issues caused by free speed boost?

Go to solution

While I was away on holiday I received an email from BT saying I was going to get a free broadband speed increase up to 76 Mbps. Yesterday, while I was still away, the email came through saying that the speed increase had been activated. I got back from holiday this morning to find a flashing orange light on my router (Home Hub 5) and no internet connection.

I've eventually been able to get through to BT on the phone who have done some tests on the line and concluded that there are 'network' issues and it has to be referred to the engineer department. Apparently I may have to wait up to 3 days for a response.

I can't help but wonder if this failure is a consequence of the free 'upgrade'. Has anyone else experienced problems?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Possible issues caused by free speed boost?

Go to solution

You will probably have already done this but if not try ONE factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

0 Ratings
Hjc27
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I did try this, but unfortunately no change - orange light still flashing and no internet connection. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I could be something to do with your "speed boost" as that is a software cap being removed and they may have somehow "disconnected" your account.

If it is not that you will need to wait for BT to get Openreach to send out an engineer to investigate the problem unless it is a hub problem and you have another one to try to see if that helps.

See link about lights on hubs

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10282/~/what-do-the-lights-on-my-bt-hub-mean%3F

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@creamcot wrote:

I am having a similar problem except my internet works some of the time. I am arranging for an engineer to call but would be interested to know how this was fixed if it has been!

If your Internet works some of the time then it would appear that you do not have a similar problem. You would be better to start a new thread and post as much information about what is actually happening with your connection and what the customer services have said to you and why they have arranged an engineer .

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Hjc27 wrote:

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I did try this, but unfortunately no change - orange light still flashing and no internet connection. 

@Hjc27I assume that its now been fixed, as you have not posted on the forum recently?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Keith

The OP last posted three weeks ago so hopefully it has been resolved by now.

0 Ratings
Hjc27
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Hi, after umpteen phone calls to BT call centres around the world and 2 separate engineer visits the problem was finally identified as a faulty router. Once the replacement arrived the issue was fixed. Nobody was sure what had caused the fault though one engineer suggested it was possibly because the speed boost happened while we were on holiday so no one was using the Wi-fi and it shut itself down as a protection mechanism. Anyway, it is fixed now thanks.
0 Ratings