cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 1 of 4

Possible noise on line

I have been having problems with my infinity now for some time, Openreach has come out around 10 times to try and fix it but things still aint right. I don't use my landline very often but last night I noticed that everytime the person on the other end spoke the sound would come back really crackly so I hung up and called back, the crackling was still there so I hung up and called from my mobile...the cracking sound was then gone. Later that night I decided to call someone to test and see if the crackling noise was still there but it was gone. I just wanted some advice to see if this would possibly be an intermittent noise issue on the line which could also be the issue with my Internet? I have done a quiet line test today and it's silent, I will try it each hour or so to see if I catch anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Possible noise on line

Hi

Any noise on your line will cause internet issues with speed.

can I suggest that you try a known working corded phone in the test point of your main socket.imagesCAIIBPUE.jpg

If you get noise when you have plugged into the test socket you will need to report this as a problem to your comms provider, if it is BT give them a call on 0800 800 151 (or 0330 123 4151 from a mobile)

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 3 of 4

I have done this a few times already, and so far no noise. Would it be something that can come and go? Openreach are coming around on Thursday anyway to look into my ongoing FTTC issues so I will mention it to them at the time and see if they can advise me.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

Yes a noisy line can come and go, it is normally corrosion on the line somewhere, it could be anywhere from your house to the telephone exchange. Dry or even wet weather can bring the fault on, as can a windy day, it just depends where the fault is.

You say OR is coming to sort out your FTTC issue, as I mentioned it is more than likely the line fault is causing your FTTC issue.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings