Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ValT
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Postcode and phone number mismatch

Go to solution

Hi!

So, I'm a BT customer and as described above, I have a postcode and phone number mismatch. I have spoken to BT on a few occasions regarding this but they say there isn't a mismatch issue on their system. However, other suppliers I speak to have insisted there is.

Now, I've dug a little deeper. It appears that my billing address and phone number etc all match up fine, but it relates to the actual physical phoneline. I bought the house as a new build around ten years ago and when I first moved in the council gave me a temporary address and postcode that was only in use for a few weeks, but it appears the physical landline is registered to this now defunked address.

Basically, anyone got any ideas how I can change this? I've been going round in circles on the phone and chat for weeks now; so frustrating.

Many thanks,

Val

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Postcode and phone number mismatch

Go to solution

@ValT

What does the Royal Mail postcode database show for your address, as that is the one that Openreach would use?

There is no need to post it here, just see if it matches your physical  address.

0 Ratings
ValT
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
That's great, thank you.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@ValT wrote:
That's great, thank you.

@ValTI have not done that yet. Please see my edited message.

All providers that use Openreach, would use the Royal Mail address.

The exception being Virgin Media, who have their own cable network.

0 Ratings
ValT
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Actually, looking at the postcode database, both my current address (with correct postcode) and the old address (with old postcode) come up if I search for them. Would you like me to post the full addresses on here, or wait for and pm a mod with this info?
0 Ratings
ValT
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
ok, so the post office database has my correct address/postcode listed, but also has the old address/postcode listed if I also search for that.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@ValT wrote:
Actually, looking at the postcode database, both my current address (with correct postcode) and the old address (with old postcode) come up if I search for them. Would you like me to post the full addresses on here, or wait for and pm a mod with this info?

Then that is an issue with the Royal Mail postcode database, there should only be one entry for your address, only Royal Mail can correct this, and remove the old entry.

You need to contact them, and explain the problem. A moderator on here would not be able to help with this.

See http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/update-your-address

0 Ratings
ValT
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
right... ok. Well, thanks for your help. I'll see how I get on there.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@ValT wrote:
right... ok. Well, thanks for your help. I'll see how I get on there.

Its not unknown for this to happen, and will cause lots of issues, not just with phone services, but with credit reference agencies, possibly voter registration, and others.

0 Ratings
ValT
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
I can believe it, I did have issues with the TV licence guys keep asking for money from the address that didn't exist, but to be honest, after I phoned them up a few times to tell that what had happened, I just ignored the letters until it went away.
0 Ratings