cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cameron1590
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 15

Power adapter? Any Good?

Hi All, Just a quickie, currently got infinity at the moment with speeds around 72meg we often watch Iplayer and on-demand programs via our sky box. We have an Ethernet cable coming across the hall into the front room, I want to do away with this and have seen these power adapters where you plug it into the mains and run an Ethernet cable into them and use the mains wiring as a data circuit, do these work ? do you still get decent speeds? Regards Cameron
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Power adapter? Any Good?

@cameron1590 wrote:
Hi All, Just a quickie, currently got infinity at the moment with speeds around 72meg we often watch Iplayer and on-demand programs via our sky box. We have an Ethernet cable coming across the hall into the front room, I want to do away with this and have seen these power adapters where you plug it into the mains and run an Ethernet cable into them and use the mains wiring as a data circuit, do these work ? do you still get decent speeds? Regards Cameron

I use them myself and I get very good speeds using the 500 Mbps ones. I have calculated that mine will be alright if I had 150meg connection. So 72meg should be fine.

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 3 of 15

They work pretty well as long as the wiring is OK.  You get a lot less speed than the quoted speed, so definitely worth going with ones called '500Mbps' as Ratty says.  How well you do will depend on details of your  mains wiring.

[1] Don't plug them into a surge protected socket.  [2] If possible, don't plug them into an extension.  [3] Even plugging them into a twin socket with a surge protected extension block plugged into the other half of the twin can reduce available speed.  

[3] was pointed out by someone else on the forum recently, and when I tried I found the same too.  It can be a bit awkward, as it is natural to have the computer and peripherals working together off a surge protected extension block; and the other half of the a twin socket where the extension is plugged in is the natural palce to plug the powerline.  It still works if you break [2] or [3], just slower.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

@sjtp wrote:

They work pretty well as long as the wiring is OK.  You get a lot less speed than the quoted speed, so definitely worth going with ones called '500Mbps' as Ratty says.  How well you do will depend on details of your  mains wiring.

[1] Don't plug them into a surge protected socket.  [2] If possible, don't plug them into an extension.  [3] Even plugging them into a twin socket with a surge protected extension block plugged into the other half of the twin can reduce available speed.  

[3] was pointed out by someone else on the forum recently, and when I tried I found the same too.  It can be a bit awkward, as it is natural to have the computer and peripherals working together off a surge protected extension block; and the other half of the a twin socket where the extension is plugged in is the natural palce to plug the powerline.  It still works if you break [2] or [3], just slower.

With regards to number 3 I use these: http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/82_dlan-500-avplus_starter-kit_product-presentation_1.html?l=en

No need to use other socket, just plug your surge protected extension into it.

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 5 of 15

Remove the link ratty, you can only give specific product names not direct links for some reason.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

@ryant704 wrote:

Remove the link ratty, you can only give specific product names not direct links for some reason.

Checked in the community guidelines and no problem with the link as it's not advertising other web services.

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 7 of 15

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@ryant704 wrote:

Checked in the community guidelines and no problem with the link as it's not advertising other web services.

I also read and done the same, trust me the moderators will edit it just aheads up, nothing will happen though but I'm just making you aware.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 15

@ryant704 wrote:

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@ryant704 wrote:

I also read and done the same, trust me the moderators will edit it just aheads up, nothing will happen though but I'm just making you aware.

Happened to me too. I even stated in the post it was only an example and to shop around.

0 Ratings
cameron1590
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

Hi guys, Thanks for the replies ! Will keep all that in mind ! Cheers, Cameron
0 Ratings
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

unless your linking to the bt shop they don't like it