cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Power cut now slow download speed

Hello.

I have had BT broadband Home Hub 4 since August and it has been ok.

On 3/11/13 our home and about 400 others had a power cut for 2 hours. When the power was restored the router fired up ok and all seemed well.

A few days after i noticed when downloading on iplayer it took ages to complete so i checked the router settings and it appears that i was put on dlm. I was on i think 7100 down and 660 up before the power cut but now i am on 5559down and 800 up since 10 November.

How can i get back to what i had before.

I dont have new socket just an old bt one for over 15 years.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Power cut now slow download speed

It will usually recover on its own. Sometimes a short (10 second) disconnection on the ADSL input will force it to reconnect at a higher speed, or you can just leave it alone.

Its all automatic, see Why has my speed dropped

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

It has been 11 days since it last changed while on dlm and 18 days since we had the power cut.

Are you suggesting i turn the router off for a few seconds then?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

can you post the adsl stats from your router first before doing anything else

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 13

These are the stats. 1stis the latest and the bottom one is just after the power was restored.

05:39:24, 10 Nov.(258893.630000) DSL noise margin: 5.60 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
05:39:23, 10 Nov.(258892.740000) DSL line rate: 800 Kbps upstream, 5559 Kbps downstream

11:22:59, 03 Nov.( 89.290000) DSL noise margin: 5.40 dB upstream, 3.10 dB downstream
11:22:58, 03 Nov.( 88.290000) DSL line rate: 770 Kbps upstream, 7288 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

as you are on adsl2/2+ your profile will be correct so can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes can you run diagnostic test and post results please   do not reset before doing test

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 13

I tried the speedtest and then went to do the further diagnostics but after a few seconds the page stops and some IE displays some stuff and if i refresh the page and try again it says i have to wait 10 mins.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

if you are having hassle with diagnostic test then can you post results of first test

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 13

1st part of test is

4.77mb download

0.55mb upload

39.00 ping

Further diagnostics comes back as cannot connect to website.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

so for a connection speed of 5559 then download speed of 4.77mb is about right and good

0 Ratings