Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Power save affecting my connection?

Hi,

According to the broadband checker I should be able to get between 6Mb and 8Mb on my line, but at the moment I seem to be getting only 3.7Mb, and the voice quality when using Skype is noticably poor.

Could this be because I use the power saving settings to turn the hub to standby from 00:00 to 18:00 and so have to reset it on weekends or days that I'm off work?

Thanks,

Lib

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:28:34
Downstream:3.681 Mbps
Upstream:1021 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):11.3 dB / 5.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):41.5 dB / 25.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.7 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):521050313 / 3225
CRC Events (Down/Up):3889 / 170
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):3192 / 152
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):3576 / 118

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Power save affecting my connection?

from what I remember the power save does not disconnect your hub from the net but just powers down the wifi.

from your stats your connection time is only 28mins is that due to hub resetting or a manual reset?

your noise margin is a bit high at 11.3 as normal about 6 which suggests a possible noise problem.  try the quiet line test  fial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best done with a corded phone   if cordless may hear a dull hum which is normal.

you have a high number of errors for such a short connection time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Lib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

To override the power save I have to push the reset button on the back of the hub, which I did earlier when I wanted to get online as I'm off work at the moment.

I did the quiet line test and couldn't hear anything, although I only have a cordless handset.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

if you are resetting then that certainly won't help your connection especially if done often.  there was a post on the forum before explaining that the cost saving from power save was very small.

if using the cordless phone the line was quiet apart from possibly a dull hum which is normal for a cordless phone can I ask if your hub is connected directly to the master or the test socket or to another extension socket somewhere else?

when you get a chance can you run btspeedtester and post the results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Lib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I think I'll change it to just be power saving between midnight and 8am then, as I shouldn't have to reset it much at all then.

The hub and phone are connected to the master socket in the hallway via one of the filters provided. I do have two sockets in the living room and one in the bedroom, but when I tried them they didn't work. (Must remember to report that, flat was finished in September last year so suspect someone forgot to finish wiring them up.)

This is from speedtester.bt.com:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 2890 Kbps

0 Kbps4000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2890 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3768 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1020 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 3323 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 796 Kbps

0 Kbps1020 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 796 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1020 Kbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

does your master socket look like this master socket nte5.jpg

if so then detaching the bottom will reveal the test socket which is your direct connection to the exchange and connecting to the test socket eliminates any noise problems caused by your extension wiring.  you would still use the filter and can keep phone connected to the filter

0 Ratings
Lib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I took the lower plate off, but there's a lot of wires in there and a bit of hole, so as I have two kittens I don't think leaving it off is a good option!

I'll have to stick with the connection I've got and hope that Skype improves when Infinity gets rolled out to my exchange at the end of this year/beginning of next.

Thanks for all your help though. 🙂

0 Ratings
syops
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Just to let you know, pressing the reset button to 'Wake Up' the hub from power save is the proper way of doing it. This won't actually reset your hub, unless you hold it too long obviously 🙂

As imjolly has the said, in the grand scheme of things the cost saving from this feature is quite small. But there's no harm in using it 🙂

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. 🙂 ***
0 Ratings