cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Powerline Adapters.

Hi folks. I am considering getting a smart tv but as i use powerline adapters at the moment, i'm a bit concerned as to whether they will be good enough for the new telly. They are fine with my bt box but i'm a bit concerned about the smart tv as i would have great difficulty wiring the router direct to the tv if i have any problems.

Any advice much appreciated.

Telboy.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Powerline Adapters.

No reason why they shouldn't be fine. Unless you have FTTP, they will be faster than your broadband connection anyway.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

They should be fine. Just add a siingle additional adapter of the same make and model, and pair it with the master one. Ideally the master one should be connected to the home hub.

If your Smart TV and vision box are in the same room, then it would be much cheaper and more reliable, to use an Ethernet switch connected to the BT Vision end, and then connect the TV and the vision box to the switch.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Many thanks Keith. Never knew there was such a thing. I kind of thought that the smart tv would more or less make the bt vision box redundant. I don't do a lot of recording anyway.

Telboy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Here is an example.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/bt-connected-home/switches/

A five port one would be more than enough, and give you two spare Ethernet connections, should you need them for anything else.

You would connect it to the powerline adapter that feeds your vision box, then plug the vision box and TV into two of the other ports.

The example on the BT website is only to illustrate one possibility.

You would have to watch out for increased broadband usage if you are on an unlimited package, as smart TVs can use a lot of data.

0 Ratings