cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Powerline Adaptors? Will they help me?

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding powerline adaptors.

Its probably best If I first explain what my problem is. After my last engineer visit (which has finally fixed my previous problems!) he installed the new ADSL faceplate to the master socket and we also got a new homehub (V2) and the hub is in the room with the master socket. Problem is the room is downstairs at the front of the house and I'm having major wireless issues upstairs at the back of the house. I am connecting a laptop and an Xbox 360 to it via wireless but my Xbox is constantly dropping connection to Xbox Live on an almost hourly basis and my laptop is dropping at a less often but still noticeable rate.

I have already done a bit of trial and error with moving the hub as close to the back of the house as I can get it and changing wireless channels but no luck on any channel. I downloaded inSSIDer to see if there are any free channels and unfortunately being smack bang in the middle of a housing scheme has turned the house into a wireless network soup 😛 At least 17 different wireless networks in my vicinity.

I'd like to connect the Xbox and laptop via Ethernet but as far as I'm aware I can no longer connect my homehub to the extensions in my house. Before we got the new ADSL plate the old hub(v1.5) was previously upstairs in my room connected to the extension and I had the Xbox and laptop connecting to it via ethernet (and two laptops right below downstairs connecting wirelessly) and I never had any reliability problems with this setup.

Ive done a bit of research and I've stumbled across powerline adaptors like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-XAVB101-100UKS-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00193PPOS/ref=dp_cp_ob... and they seem ideal, almost too good to be true.

My question is would they work with the homehub/network? And if yes is there anything I should know about them before buying like are only some versions compatible, will I notice any major disruption to speed? Or are they as simple and miraculous as they seem?

Hope I've made sense 😛

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Powerline Adaptors? Will they help me?

They are excellent pieces of kit. I use three of them. If you still have the older Home Hub you can put it in bridge mode connected to one of the adaptors and then you can use it's wireless and it's ports upstairs. There shouldn't be any compatibility problems with using different adaptors from different manufacturers. It's just plug and play!

By the way, plug them into the wall and not an extension plug, the signal will travel better this way and you will get a better speed.

If my answer helped you please rate it so that other people know that it is helpful.

Regards,

Robo878.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my answer was helpful, please give me a star by clicking the star on the left hand side.

Thank you.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Hi. You can also connect an Ethernet cable to your hub and run it to the roomyor pc /games system is located in you can buy Ethernet cables in up to 100m long personally I would prefer a cable connection far more reliable but it is personal choice one thing to remember is that the power lines have to be connected to the same house ring main as each other houses are often wired with 2nd more ring mains eg 1 coveri ng downstairs another upstairs if they are on different circuits they do not work
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

At the risk of starting an argument, they do usually work on seperate ring mains, as long as both those ring mains come from the same consumer unit (fusebox thingy) and are on the same phase (which domestic supplies usually are).

Our setup at home has a powerline adaptor from the HH at the master socket, one in the living room serving a netgear router (configured as a hub) which looks after the ps3/xbox/bt vision, and a third powerline adaptor upstairs for my son's computer. The upstairs bedroom and the living room are on different mains circuits, so we borrowed some adaptors to see if it worked before spending money on something that might not!
 TLDR version :- Ask to borrow some off a friend, if they work then buy some!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Hi good answer my comments were from personal experience and very obviously different to yoursno risk of anargument here from me if you can borrow some then that's the best way otherwise cable is cheap and securejust takes a little longer to set up
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 10

If you buy them from Amazon, you have a thirty day return policy, so you can try them out and if they don't work you can send them back used for a full refund.

Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my answer was helpful, please give me a star by clicking the star on the left hand side.

Thank you.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

I use 2 Netgear 4 port powerline adaptors, very good!

One is downstairs on the downstairs sockets ring and one upstairs on the upstairs sockets - work very well.

I think they are 84mbps which isn't all that quick, but you only notice it slow down when copying large files around.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

It may be worth reading about the situation regarding 'Ofcom' and the possibility of radio frequency interference from power line devices.  
http://www.rsgb.org/news/articlelinks.php?id=0124
As john46 suggests a ethernet cable connection is a good choice.  There are other ways to improve the signal;

"How do I boost my wi-fi signal?"
http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/boosting-a-wifi-signal-ask-our-expert.html
"WIFI ' Stretching the Wireless Connection"
http://www.laptopwirelessmouseshop.com/a852168-wifi-stretching-the-wireless-connection.cfm
"How To Increase Wifi Signal"
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-increase-wifi-signal

or try for example;

NETGEAR WN2000RPT Universal WiFi Range Extender - Wireless network extender - 802.11b/g/n
Edimax EW-7416APN Wireless 802.11n Access Point - Range extender
TP-Link TL-ANT2408C 2.4GHz 8dbi Indoor Omni-Directional Desktop Antenna
There are many such examples from a Google search

Rodney Fry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@G3NDI wrote:

It may be worth reading about the situation regarding 'Ofcom' and the possibility of radio frequency interference from power line devices.  
http://www.rsgb.org/news/articlelinks.php?id=0124

I am not into homeplugs/powerline adapters, but that article specifically mentions COMTREND, the adapters that BT supplies.

I believe that comtrend use a slightly different standard or different range (cant remember) than others.

It just sticks in my mind that I have read that on a forum somewhere

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I recently had a set of Devlo "HomePlugs", to see if I could use them with my NAS.

A word of warning - if you've had an extension on your property, the speed might be impacted.

The adaptors I got worked, albeit at a maximum of 1mb/s. In the same room / same ring, they did work, but again, only up to about 2mb/s.

Jacked the NAS directly into the Home Hub - 10mb/s as expected.

Also, as rightly pointed out, don't use them on an extension cable - I did this and my transfer rate dropped from 1mb/s to 458kbps.

The point I'm trying to make is, make sure you've got a good returns policy, so that you can return them if they don't work as expected. 🙂

0 Ratings