cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Powerline adapter signal not strong enough - best alternative?

As our main phone socket (and as such, our router) isn't particularly near where we have our TV, we've had to use powerline adapters connected to the YouView box since we started our package in January. 

Unfortunately however the signal quality doesn't seem to be great as while watching 'normal' TV is fine, streaming apps like Netflix and Now TV and also every BT Sport channel regularly cut out as the box seems to disconnect from our Broadband for a minute or two at a time. Some days it seems fine, however half the time you can't get through an hour long programme without it cutting out at least once. I've tried putting the adapters into various sockets to see if others have better signal quality, but to no avail. I'm also aware that they need to be plugged directly into the wall as opposed to an extension cable or anything. 

I was just wondering if anyone knew what our best option here was? The powerline adapters we're using are some TRENDnet ones I've had for a few years. Would newer 'official' BT powerline adapters likely do a better job? Or is the only real solution to get a BT engineer to come and install another phone socket nearer to our TV so we can plug straight into the router itself? 

We're currently using streaming services through my PS4 (as it's able to connect via WiFi which is fine), but it seems silly to be paying for service that we can't actually utilise. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Powerline adapter signal not strong enough - best alternative?

@Bixer 

The official BT Mini connectors might be better, and are available at a discounted price.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/How-to-connect-YouView-Box-when-hub-in-another-room/m-p/...

The best option of course, is a direct Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

If the location of the TV allows it may be better to extend the Ethernet Cable. Check out 10m or15m Ethernet, Network, Lan & Patch Cable RJ45.
Question: Power lines what are you using ? something like the 1300 AV2 Adapter Kit
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Unfortunately it's in a tricky place so not sure if a longer ethernet cable is practical - it's an open plan living room/kitchen, the TV is in one corner of the living room and then the phone socket/router is actually more in what would be the kitchen, I'm not sure if even 15m would be long enough given the amount of snaking that would be needed across various door frames and ceiling. 

I've got the TRENDnet Powerline 500 wireless kit - TPL-410APK. Looking at my Amazon account, it looks like I ordered them way back in 2014, so on the older side now. Would something newer be likely to improve things or should they be adequate enough? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

If the problem lies with the quality of your mains wiring, it won't matter which manufacture powerlines you use. If you don't want to run an Ethernet cable, you can just run cw1308 telephone cable from the data extension terminals in the master socket to an extension socket and re site the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Yes that was my first thought, the problem is more likely to do with the mains itself - the signal is probably orange about 50% of the time (medium), red 40% of the time (worst) and only green maybe 10%. 

The master socket that the BT hub is plugged into is the only one we have in the house, so am I right in saying my best option would indeed be to get a BT engineer to come and install another closer to the TV? 

I'm assuming that's unlikely to happen anytime soon, but as long as I know what to do once the lockdown is eased, that's fine. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Home wiring is your responsibility, not BT's. You can either do it yourself or get a local tradesmen in  to do it if you don't feel confident.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Have a look at the BT Wi-Fi Extender 1200 with 11ac 1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi you can plug in an Ethernet cable to connect to the TV or us the Wi-Fi if the TV has the option .
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@lnajr02 

The problem with using anything wifi to connect the Hub to the Youview box is that the HomeHubs (not sure about the SmartHub2) don't transmit multicast (like BT Sport) over wifi so that's not really an option.

@Bixer 

I'd personally take up the BT offer of their adapters, not an expensive option if they don't help.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I access my BT sport via a Whole home disc that's OK , I also have a BT Wi-Fi Extender 1200 so I set up the BT TV STB using the Extenders Ethernet connection and demand works no problem if that helps
0 Ratings