cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JM12
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Powerline adaptors turning themselves off!

When BT engineer here testing phone line in regards to ongoing slow broadband speed, he suggested I might try powerline adpators instead of wire through to router from main inbox. A neighbour kindly lent me a spare set which I managed to pair and use to go online.  However when I looked about half an hour later or so they had turned themselves off although router was still up and running.  Unplugged them and reset and paired again, and again within a short while both had no lighs on.  Even put them into neighbouring sockets and tried.  same happened.  I live in a bungalow so wouldn't have thought I would have different circuits for different rooms.  My neighbours bunglaow is the same as ours and he has no problems. Don't want to spend £40 on a BT adaptor to find they don't work here.  Is there anything I  an doo to check other than to buy a set and see what happens?

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Powerline adaptors turning themselves off!

What make were the adaptors?

Some go into power saving mode if there is no activity.

0 Ratings
JM12
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I don't know the make(will ask) as I couldn't see a name on them. If they went into standby mode wouldn't there be at least one light on? Hadn't thought of that.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Do they stop working or do they "wake up" whenever you start to use the device that is connected to them?

0 Ratings
JM12
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Again I hadn't thought to try PC again as all lights off on both adaptors even one which was attached to router.

0 Ratings
JM12
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

The adaptors I used were Simpler Networks 200 Mbps.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Status LEDS from online manual.

http://bt.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/2673070/1346669984/redirect/1/filename/Simpler%20Networks%20Po...

GREEN : Powerline network is detected with high transfer speed

ORANGE: Powerline network is detected with medium transfer speed

RED: Powerline network is detected with low transfer speed

FLASHING: Any of the above flashing - a data transfer in progress

OFF: No Powerline connection

OFF would seem to indicate that there is a communication issue. Perhaps you are plugged into an extension socket, or filtered socket?

The Simpler ones are a bit dated now, so I would expect the BT Broadband extenders to perform better.

0 Ratings
JM12
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Thanks for info. Thought no light meant they were off. They were plugged directly into socket. As I said before I even plugged them into sockets next to each other to try to rule out house wiring. Router was on all the time when plugged into adaptors. So could they be the problem rather than house wiring? I had been looking at the BT Broadband Extender Flex 600 kit before my trial of neighbours ones.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

That would probably indicate that one of the adapters are faulty, probably turning off when they get hot.

The BT Broadband Extender Flex 600 kit is quite popular, and have been reported to work very well.

Its unlikely to be an issue with the wiring in your bungalow.

0 Ratings
Dode
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

I've got the Flex 500 pair and they work just fine, that's with Infinity 1. Keep in mind they go to sleep if the computer is off and a little green light pops on every 15 seconds or so just to check for activity.

0 Ratings