Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Pre Infinity ordering info please?

Go to solution

Sorry for troubling you guys but a couple of years after initially thinking about an Infinity upgrade I think I'm now ready to take the plunge. God but I'm SLOOOOW huh Smiley Frustrated

There's just one or two (or three) things I'd like to check first.

1. is it only the HH5 you get now (no modem needed)?

2. i've read some bad reports on threads here about the HH5, is it really that bad? (or maybe someone could point me to an alternative I could replace it with after initial install)?

3. i've read about a data extension cable. Is this the cable from phone socket to Hub? My socket is in the hall and I want the Hub in the living room (so will need to take the cable around the hall and into the room). What length of cable will I receive OR should I buy my own and have it already in place for the engineer? If so, what type of cable / connectors do I ask for when I would go to make that purchase?

Thanks for sticking with me so far and I only hope someone can point me in the right direction. I'll be one very greatful guy if you can.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Pre Infinity ordering info please?

Go to solution

@robert1997 wrote:

Sorry for troubling you guys but a couple of years after initially thinking about an Infinity upgrade I think I'm now ready to take the plunge. God but I'm SLOOOOW huh Smiley Frustrated

There's just one or two (or three) things I'd like to check first.

1. is it only the HH5 you get now (no modem needed)? Only the HH5 is supplied as it has an internal modem

2. i've read some bad reports on threads here about the HH5, is it really that bad? (or maybe someone could point me to an alternative I could replace it with after initial install)? Many have no issues with it. You could buy an unlocked  HG612 modem from a well known auction site and use the HH5 as just a router.

3. i've read about a data extension cable. Is this the cable from phone socket to Hub? My socket is in the hall and I want the Hub in the living room (so will need to take the cable around the hall and into the room). What length of cable will I receive OR should I buy my own and have it already in place for the engineer? If so, what type of cable / connectors do I ask for when I would go to make that purchase? RJ11 - RJ45 up to 30mts in length.CAT 5e or 6

Thanks for sticking with me so far and I only hope someone can point me in the right direction. I'll be one very greatful guy if you can.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

You're a star pippin.

If I'd thought I'd have got such a speedy reply I wouldn't have slipped off to bed so soon after posting.

Thank you so much for helping me out with my queries.

Good luck,

Rob.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry again for the dumb questions.

I'm assuming pippin has confirmed that BT will install a cable up to 30m in length.

To speed the install along I've considered having the cable already installed (rj11 at socket and rj45 to hub if I'm right?). I've checked Ama**n and eb** online but can't find any (or maybe I'm not searching for the right thing). Plenty of rj11 to rj45 cables but not cat 5e or 6 that I can see on there. Any ideas where to purchase what I need?

With the issues I'm reading about the Hub 5 I'm very unsure what I should do as my "normal" broadband is very reliable. My main reason for getting Infinity would have been to upgrade to BT TV as I've just got shot of S*y.

Thanks again guys from one confused prospective "upgrader". 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
you want rj11 to rj11 utp (unshielded twisted-pair). The "twisted-pair" is the important bit to reject noise and you want solid copper cable due to the length, so cat5 will be fine.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry Robert, Ray is correct RJ11 - RJ11 (I must've been tired last night Smiley Sad).

You may be better installing it yourself as if you get a contractor install in may not be done fully to your liking.

They should do it as part of the instal though.

See HERE.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks guys.

Hi pippin, no worries about the cable mix up, I was dog tired last night when I put all those questions to you at that ungodly hour. Thanks for the clarification.

Now if I could only convince myself to stop worrying about these hub issues Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
If you want to read up on a data extension kit, Clarity IT sell a "BT Openreach Line Engineer's xDSL Extension Kit"
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks Ray. Informative reading. All the best.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I have just had Infinity 2 installed and am over the moon!

From switch on :

65 download speed and 17 upload speed and rock steady since!

HomeHub 5 a delight-no modem-all in the hub!

I was surprised that bt engineer fitted the homehub line feed into an extension socket near to my requested location and not from Master Socket!

If you read the BT Infinity ordering info they quote about extending up to about 30m.

If you have an extension any nearer then they can probably use that to cut down on wiring!

Home Hub 5 has been,more or less,universally praised as an outstanding piece of kit-go for it! 

0 Ratings